What happens when the Romulans learn they've been tricked?

Deep Space Nine
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: What happens when the Romulans learn they've been tricked?

Post by Tyyr »

Given how tore up they were in the Dominion War, then the Shinzon bullshit, followed up by the fact that even at their height there weren't a match for the UFP.... not much. They probably glare at the UFP across the neutral zone. Ya know, what they do already.

Relations might cool, but what's colder than absolute zero?

Oh right, Theta VIII.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
I Am Spartacus wrote:When did Sloan say this, and what exactly did he say?
I can't find the exact quote or episode but he says something about how the Klingons will be crippled by the Dominion War and only the UFP and RE will be in any shape to dominate the area.

I know someone (Deep likely) knows about it. I personaly put anything Sloan says into the "probable BS" category given his job but he might be right.
It was in "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges." Ross says it during his tiff with Bashir in the conference room. Can't remember the exact quote either.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nope - it was definitely Sloan, when he first recruited Bashir to help him out on Romulus:
BASHIR
You're asking me to spy on an
ally.

SLOAN
To evaluate an ally -- and a
temporary ally at that. I say
that because when the war's over,
the following will happen in
short order: The Dominion will
be forced back to the Gamma
Quadrant. The Cardassian Empire
will be occupied. The Klingon
Empire will spend the next ten
years recovering from the war and
won't pose a major threat to
anyone. That leaves two powers
to vie for control of the
quadrant -- the Federation and
the Romulans.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The RSE wouldn't do a damn thing. They know full well that they can't match the UFP, even more so after the losses of the Dominion War. Even worse for them, they would have to admit that they had been fooled and fooled so greatly.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...they would have to admit that they had been fooled and fooled so greatly.
I think that's the key, more than anything else. Romulan tech is serious business, and while they might not outmatch the UFP's latest and greatest, they certainly have the ability to do serious damage. They wouldn't say or do anything because they'd have to admit that they were majorly swindled by a bunch of pacifist wussies.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Another problem is that after, and even during, the Dominion War. You can't discount the ability of the SF anymore. They've shown not only will they fight but they will fight as bitterly and as aggressively as the Klingons or Jem'Hadar ever could.

The RSE is just in a place where they may not like it but they know well enough that all they can do is sit there and suck it up.
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Captain Seafort wrote:Nope - it was definitely Sloan, when he first recruited Bashir to help him out on Romulus:
You're right. I think that conversation takes place in someone's quarters while the doctor is doing the hololineup of the Romulans. Or is it aboard DS9 before the mission begins...? I can't remember now.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Deepcrush wrote:Another problem is that after, and even during, the Dominion War. You can't discount the ability of the SF anymore. They've shown not only will they fight but they will fight as bitterly and as aggressively as the Klingons or Jem'Hadar ever could.

The RSE is just in a place where they may not like it but they know well enough that all they can do is sit there and suck it up.
A very valid point, there. During the TNG era, the Romulans may indeed have tried something, as Starfleet was nowhere near as powerful as it would later become. The Romulans of that era may have decided to take a gamble and declare war, perhaps with the backing of a number of smaller powers, banking on the UFP's pacifism and lack of proper military training and experience to offset the UFP's industrial advantage.

As of post-DS9, however, Starfleet has proven itself to be a more than adequate force, and the UFP has a number of experience admirals and a populace who'll be more ready to accept war as a necessity.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That and their fleet personnel are none to cute about being nice anymore.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I tend to agree with Deep - the Romulans don't really have a lot of viable options besides crying into their pillows.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

There's a lot of things they COULD do, however you have to factor out that most of those things will end in them being spanked like the french whenever the Germans feel like walking west. :laughroll:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, realisticaly there's nothing the Romulans could have done that wouldn't have just resulted in a lot of pain for them.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Wow, conclusion in two pages.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Must be some sort of record for us.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I could throw out some BS disagreement if you guys don't feel statisfied yet.