Species of the week: Ferengi

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In TNG they were a different species. They were built up to be a big military threat. In DS9 they are only a minor power, with no martial abilities at all.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

We had enough military threats in DS9. That's why I liked the latter-day Ferengi, when they weren't just being used as caricatures, although I don't think enouch was done with them. As a surreptitious and economic/social power, even if not in DIRECT opposition to the Federation, they could have had tremendous influence in the 'Trek milieu.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, a good point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Why would they oppose anyone? Its not good business. Don't annoy one of the biggest powers in the galaxy. Thats why they had a deal with the Dominion.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As I said, they were not in direct opposition to the Federation; however, to be somewhat antagonistic would certainly further the milieu and create plots - more so if such antagonism was practiced through economic and social manipulation rather than outright threat of warfare.

And... IIRC, the Dominion ended up AT WAR with the Federation. So, without even trying, everyone who sided with the Dominion DID end up in opposition to the Federation.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not at all. The Ferengi did have deals with The Dominion and the Federation and Starfleet didnt bother them.

I don't think the Ferengi are a very centeralised government. It is more of a lose coalition. Everyone looks out for themselves first and then for a species as a whole.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

In my view, the Ferengi are really one of the major powers in the Quadrant, for one simple reason; they're basically involved in nearly all commerce in the known Galaxy. They're like a big interstellar Wall Street; while they may not be able to compete with big powers like the Federation militarily, the extent to which they're involved in all the major power's economies means that they could pretty much bankrupt any major power that decided to attack them. In the midst of a bunch of Fascist, Psychopatic Warriors, and Communists, the Ferengi are the glue that holds the various Galactic economies together....

Or it makes for a nice theory anyway. Whadday think? :)
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sounds good to me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

While I do believe them powerful I dont think they are centeralized enough to really swing that power.

Also I doubt it could bring them to their knees so much as inconvenience them.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, the Ferengi are far too dis-united to pose any major threat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Interestingly enough, while the Ferengi seem to be decentralized - united politically only by the tenets of their faith as coded in the Rules of Acquisition - their government seems to be a weird sort of corruption of a constitutional monarchy... about as centralized as you can get!

Certainly, most Ferengi react with the same fear and awe to a visit with the Grand Nagus as many English commoners would to a vist from Henry VIII!

I think Capt. Peabody explained my own sentiments better than I have been able to. While I wouldn't call the Ferengi " the glue that holds the various Galactic economies together.... " because the Federation doesn't seem to have a conventional economy; the Romulans are isolated; the Klingons as a nation wouldn't treat with them; et. al., that economic involvement everywhere means a certain degree of power other than military might. Especially when it is backed by religious zeal, as the Ferengi system of econimics is.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The Grand nagus visiting would b more like Brad Pitt coming for dinner. Famous as hell but with no real power. The only power he does have is public opinion which itself is quite powerful.

DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

rofl... I hope the nagus doesn't visit me, I don't want to have to eat tubegrubs again :(
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

mebbe so, but I can't find a six-pack of Slug-O-Cola here in New Jersey.
as Bull offed Custer
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

personally, i see the klingons as alot more hypocritical,than not dealing with the ferengi out of principle,am not just envisaging the house of Duras either, and also think that even when in 'isolation/self imposed exile' that the romulans may have utilised ferengi at some link in the chain for information gathering, perhaps involving minor races inc the yridians,with the ferengi as middlemen etc