The Maquis

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Maquis

Post by Mikey »

As to the OP - I liked the inclusion of the victims of the UFP's policies, seeing the ballsier side of humanity, etc. I just didn't care for how the Maquis were portrayed once they were included. Where they should have been righteous guerillas, they were instead shown as little more than brigands.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:As to the OP - I liked the inclusion of the victims of the UFP's policies, seeing the ballsier side of humanity, etc. I just didn't care for how the Maquis were portrayed once they were included. Where they should have been righteous guerillas, they were instead shown as little more than brigands.
Remember though that we are watching things from the UFP point of view. As such, the Maquis weren't righteous at all. They were traitors.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:
Mikey wrote:As to the OP - I liked the inclusion of the victims of the UFP's policies, seeing the ballsier side of humanity, etc. I just didn't care for how the Maquis were portrayed once they were included. Where they should have been righteous guerillas, they were instead shown as little more than brigands.
Remember though that we are watching things from the UFP point of view. As such, the Maquis weren't righteous at all. They were traitors.
Just because the show wants to put it's own spin on how we should view something doesn't mean we have to. Otherwise, we'd have to accept Neelix as a lovable character.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I agree fully, I was just pointing as to why the Maquis were shown as they were. However, I think by the end of their time. DS9 had done a much better job of showing them as people, not as crooks.
USSEnterprise
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by USSEnterprise »

Deepcrush wrote: Remember though that we are watching things from the UFP point of view.
If we were to use that point of view the Federation would be a perfect world and Starfleet would be perfectly competent...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:
I'm not talking about how other people spoke of the Maquis - I'm talking about how I saw them operate (for the most part, DS9 showed examples on both ends of the spectrum.)
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Since most of them lacked combat training I would expect that most would act much the same about battle as many of the civilian members of DITL do. Its a lot of guess work followed by trial and error, mostly error. They did the best they could with what they had.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

USSEnterprise wrote:
Deepcrush wrote: Remember though that we are watching things from the UFP point of view.
If we were to use that point of view the Federation would be a perfect world and Starfleet would be perfectly competent...
You can listen to someone talk about something they agree with and still look at them for the retards they are.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

So, what will happen with the maquis' worlds now that the CU lost the war? will those worlds return back to the Federation after UFP betrayed them turning over them to a hostile foreign power or will they remain independent? will the UFP allowed them independence?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't see why the UFP wouldn't allow them to be independent; the UFP was the entity that was willing to throw them to the wolves in the first place.
as Bull offed Custer
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Mikey wrote:I don't see why the UFP wouldn't allow them to be independent; the UFP was the entity that was willing to throw them to the wolves in the first place.
Yes but those wolves have no teeth anymore, why the federation would let those planets loose? UFP is after all a power with expansionist interests trying to get new members, territories, planets, etc. All this assuming the allies, specifically UFP, took territory from CU and the Breen Confederacy wich is very logical. Moreover, assuming the maquis' worlds wanna be independent wich is very likely.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SomosFuga wrote:why the federation would let those planets loose?
Why? They did it when those worlds would be annexed by an erstwhile enemy; why would we assume that they wouldn't when no enemy would gain from them?
SomosFuga wrote:assuming the maquis' worlds wanna be independent wich is very likely.
Yeah, remain independent or join up with the people they were bombing? I think we can assume that they want to remain independent.
as Bull offed Custer
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I kind of wish they shown them winning against the CU and becoming there own sovereign power. Would have been interesting, don't really like how it ended for the Maquis
Genius insania et conseri manum
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Foxfyre wrote:I kind of wish they shown them winning against the CU and becoming there own sovereign power. Would have been interesting, don't really like how it ended for the Maquis
That would have been a HUGE stretch of credibility, even agaisnt a CU that was resource-poor compared to other major powers. Would you have easily believed it if the show showed the modern-day PLO defeating Israel in a conventional war?

BTW, you may want to fix the link on your sig.
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

BTW, you may want to fix the link on your sig.
You never know he may want it that way.

As for the Maquis, while I didn't like the way they appear to have ended, I can't see it ending much differently. Then again, I'm not a writer.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.