V'GER

Voyager

Why the borg don't realised that when V'GER made Contact?

The borg were still in development
63%
Imperfection
13%
A totally screwd logic. Logic dictates this is irrelevent.
13%
Regeneration Episode, Borg Sphere sent signal to Delta Quadrent
13%

Total votes: 8
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but we also have to take into account the canon history of the borg. That they have been around for thousends of years and destroyed races back then.

While the idea is good it doesn't fit canon. But then the idea that the borg are involved isn't canon...

The fact that the borg haven't taken over the quadrant dispite their huge power and technology maked me believe that they more or less stay still unless provoked.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Teaos wrote: The fact that the borg haven't taken over the quadrant dispite their huge power and technology maked me believe that they more or less stay still unless provoked.
Also they haven't really tried to assimilate the Federation, yet. Just humanity, perhaps even then to simply make their lives easier down the road.

Sorry about the wild speculation, I can't remember the source for the ancient Collective, and had forgotten about their age. Where did that info come from?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In several episodes.

The first being when they were first encountered someone mentioned that they had been around for thousends of years.

In a voyager a species mentioned that the borg had attacked several centuries ago as well.

That leads me to believe that they just tend to sit around unless provoked.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Les
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Les »

In 'First Contact' the Borg Queen mentions that the Borg started out as 'Organic' but that they 'Evolved to include the synthetic'. In TMP it's strongly indicated that the 'race' which repaired and up-graded V'Ger was a race of all-machine entities, perhaps something from VonNeuman's wildest screaming nightmares. In fact, V'Ger at first seems perplexed that his Creator's homeworld seems Infested by biological life and threatens to sear the Earth clean of All life if V'Ger's True Creator does not reveal himself.

And yeah, by and large the Borg do appear to be quite stagnant, but that seems to be par for the course for collective-intelligences. Give them something specific to do and they are un-matched in their efficiency in performing said task, but otherwise they appear to be more re-active than pro-active, only advancing when they assimilate a new species and it's technology or following-up on the theories postulated by other species before they were assimilated.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah true. It has no desire to explore like we do thus it does nothing unless provoked.

It would really cool if we could get the whole galaxy together and everyone agree to desert any space within like 50-100 light years. Like creating a fire break. We could keep them in there own space.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That could work.

Although I always figured it was because of the war with S8472 that stopped them expanding. When did the borg encounter S8472?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think the war had been happening a few months when Voyager meet them but no longer. I don't think they ever "Expand" as in purposly get more teritory. They only do so then they find something new somehow.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, okay.
And yes, they don't seem to be in any hurry to do anything.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Wouldn't they feel a need to continue to develop and therefore jump past any "firebreak" in order to keep pursuing perfection? I would think that the fact that they KNOW that the rest of the galaxy is out there would just sit there and tempt them.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

After what Voyager did and the war with S8472, they might be recovering their losses. That might stop any expansionism for the while.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:After what Voyager did and the war with S8472, they might be recovering their losses. That might stop any expansionism for the while.
One would think. They probably have to re-build before they are comfortable enough to do anything. But I'd bet they'd defend themselves (up to and including totally conquering the Dominion should the Founders be foolish enough to poke the hornet's nest!).

So I think that either way such a war would be disastrous for whichever party attacked the other. (But if the Dominion invaded I don't think they could destroy the Borg like I think the Borg could destroy the Dominion IF they committed enough forces.)

DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:After what Voyager did and the war with S8472, they might be recovering their losses. That might stop any expansionism for the while.
One would think. They probably have to re-build before they are comfortable enough to do anything. But I'd bet they'd defend themselves (up to and including totally conquering the Dominion should the Founders be foolish enough to poke the hornet's nest!).

So I think that either way such a war would be disastrous for whichever party attacked the other. (But if the Dominion invaded I don't think they could destroy the Borg like I think the Borg could destroy the Dominion IF they committed enough forces.)

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:D
Congratulations! You just made the first double post on the forum.

And yes, a war would be rather costly for both sides.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote::D
Congratulations! You just made the first double post on the forum.
One of my many talents! :lol:

Oi. My internet connection is often dodgy, and it happened at just the right time to confuse me! :oops:

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It also got you promoted I see. :) Congrats.

I'm also having problems with the site. Is it the same for everyone? :?