Should the Yuuzhan Vong have done so well in the war...

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Should the Yuuzhan Vong have done so well in the war...

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:After that came the Fel-Dynasty ruling the Empire.
Thought there were a few steps between that? :P
I've always cheered for the Empire.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Monroe wrote:Thought there were a few steps between that? :P
You're right of course. The next interesting thing that happened was the Fel-Dynasty. Is that better? :mrgreen:
Monroe wrote:I've always cheered for the Empire.
Me too. If it weren't for the Emperor's overly tight grip on control (and plot fate) the rebel's wouldn't have been able to do half of what they did. I'd like nothing more then to have seen Luke fall to the Dark Side. :happydevil:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah totally agree. I really wish more books prior to the NJO portrayed the Empire in a shade of Gray. No doubt the Empire's leaders were evil but Star Wars up until the NJO and maybe a few books before showed things so black and white.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd actualy like to see a few books set from an Imperial point of view, set shortly after the NR took Coruscant. Lots of potential stories there and less black/white politics.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That and remember that the Empire wasn't evil to everyone. Many people believed the Empire's positive to out weigh the negative. Men like Gilad Pellaeon who believed it a noble thing to serve.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Short answer; no, they succeeded only due to author fiat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Short answer; no, they succeeded only due to author fiat.
Amazing... :poke:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given its a made up fantasy world everything happens due to author fiat.

Still, the YV situation turned me off to the Star Wars EU. So much of the early going just seemed so damned forced that it turned me off to it. I can't take someone as a serious threat when it requires the other to act like complete smacktards for it to happen.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tyyr wrote:Given its a made up fantasy world everything happens due to author fiat.

Still, the YV situation turned me off to the Star Wars EU. So much of the early going just seemed so damned forced that it turned me off to it. I can't take someone as a serious threat when it requires the other to act like complete smacktards for it to happen.
No shit, except there was no attempt to make it believable.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Deepcrush wrote:Remember though, and this is important since a lot of people miss this, that the NR was still fighting several Imperial factions and local sector powers at the time. Combined with their slow build up of their fleets after the founding. The NR simply didn't have the number of ships needed to take on the Vong. Had the Empire been around when the Vong attacked it would have been a totally different matter.

Almost forgot. Those Vong World Ships (more like cities but hey, its not up to me) were no joke in battle. One of them was equal to a SSD.
IIRC, ther Bastion Accords happened a few years before the Vong, so I believe things were pretty quiet at the time.

Short answer, no. Long answer, hell no. The good guys were so friggin' handicapped it was beyond bullshit.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well after the Bastion Accords there were still a few rogue Imperialistic factions but I think the last of them were destroyed in the last of the Young Jedi Knights' series. First Star Wars book I ever read in fact. Tiny Empire ruled by Royal Guardsman I think. And I'm pretty sure that happens after peace is signed. But in the book they said that was the last of the Empire (and later retconned to be that Imperial faction). I read it in 7th grade so my memory is a bit hazzy :P

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Remember that a lot of these local powers used Imp equipment and were often commanded by former Imp officers.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The first NJO book would seem to indicate that most of the NR's problems at that point were diplomatic with bunches of other planets, like the whole conflict the Vong agent was setting up between the two planets in Vector Prime. That's no excuse for why their military response to a clear threat was so pathetic.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

*Snaps fingers* Rightm, Monroe. I should've remembered that. :bangwall: I just reread the YJK a month or so ago-my thirteenth time through! Man, I love those series.

Well, by then the NRDF should've been a battle-hardened space navy with decades of experience under their belts. And after something like what happened at Ithor, the Vong should've run into a fucking wall of ships. But no.... the complete destruction of Ithor's ecosystem, breaking their word wasn't enough. They had to have Purge 2.0 and more political bullshit!

Yes, I hate this series. I will not deny or attempt to mask my complete and utter contempt for anything post-YJK. The YJK was a little island of sanity for me in the mid-late 90's when dealing with school, Charlie my ex-stepfather and other things. What happened to those characters pisses my off beyond mere words.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Another problem is that the NRDF had its hands tied by politics. The Mon Cal turned out shit-tons of ships but there was no way to tell where they were they would be send. Alot of the smaller groups such as the Hypans (not only them but you get the idea) weren't willing to send their ships out to fight. NRDF was built out of mostly out of Imperial and Mon Cal ships instead of being supported by hundreds of local regional fleets.