Defiant

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ugh, I hated it whenever we saw officers using the Defiant to get them somewhere. Its a warship, not a fracking taxi! You have shuttles for a reason!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ugh, I hated it whenever we saw officers using the Defiant to get them somewhere. Its a warship, not a fracking taxi! You have shuttles for a reason!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Right on the money. Unfortunately what happened when put to all those uses for which the Defiant was NOT designed was this:

the Defiant, as originally spec'd, was not up to doing all those things - at least not as well as was necessary for the screenplay. So, in order to preserve the plot, we were shown the Defiant doing various and sundry things, surreptitiously, which she was NOT supposed to be capable of - not to mention changing size by vast amounts from week to week...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If we forget about the muckups of the writers then we can see a well built and thought out ship. It is the perfect ideal of 'form = function'. The ship was a 170 weapons platform, almost all of it facing foward. That was her big advantage. All weapons forward on a ship with the firepower of something twice or even three times her size. A fleet of those would do wonders!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yes if she had been kept on here assigned duty she was great. A great idea all be it an ugly ship... what can I say I like that Starfleet has pretty ships.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd love to see a dedicated battleship from Starfleet. If a 150 metre long ship can cause that much damage, imagine how much chaos a Sovereign scale ship could do...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:I'd love to see a dedicated battleship from Starfleet. If a 150 metre long ship can cause that much damage, imagine how much chaos a Sovereign scale ship could do...
We've been starting to see tham with the Akira and Prometheus - albeit not often enough to get a good impression of their capabilities. The stupidity of the Prometheus' basic concept aside, it's got great firepower, destroying a D'Deridex within a minute. The Akira is less certain, but given the number of launchers it's got I'd expect it to put out an ungodly torpedo spam.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it seems that the Dominion war gave the Federation a long needed kick up the backside.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Indeed, it seems that the Dominion war gave the Federation a long needed kick up the backside.
Now if only they'd get themselves a decent ground force. Y'know, the sort that could actually beat a bunch of people more competant than a Somali militia...
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Now lets not be insulting.
The Somali militia could have easily held that pass at AR-558. :wink:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Again, we turn the topic to the negation of logic in order to further a stiryline without any effort on the part of the writers. We had been shown what powerful, scary fighters the Jem'Hadar were, and then along comes AR-558. The ep wouldn't have been much if the Fed forces were wiped out before the first commercial break - which is surely what would have happened if the Jem'Hadar were written to be true to previous form. So, we had to see them portrayed as tactical morons, just to make sure the ep would fill out its format.

This could have been avoided, of course, by still showing them to be superior fighters, and by making the Feds slightly LESS of a bunch of tactical morons themselves...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:Now lets not be insulting.
The Somali militia could have easily held that pass at AR-558. :wink:
They've got better mobile forces as well - the Federation doesn't have any Infantry Fighting Vehicles, while the Somali's not only have them, but they've got a decent troop capacity and a good field of fire for their main armament.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey, you hit the nail on the head there.

Seafort, imagine replacing the US solidiers from Black Hawk Down with Federation troops. How long till they get slaughtered? :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think th Federation has always done a fine job of having its military appropriate to the threat level. No need to start an arms race when all you need is to defend yourself.

When the threat has increased they have been able to quickly adjust to the situation.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think th Federation has always done a fine job of having its military appropriate to the threat level. No need to start an arms race when all you need is to defend yourself.
Put it this way.
You, race X, have greater technology than race Y. Race Y is known to be hostile to you.
Do you build a military force that can barely hold off race Y's military, thus taking massive losses?
Or do you build a powerfull military that race Y cannot match, so that when the invasion starts, you can beat them back with few losses?

Sure the Federation can defend itself, but at needless cost.
When the threat has increased they have been able to quickly adjust to the situation.
After taking massive losses in the initial attack. Losses that could easily have been prevented.