Orci/Kurtzman Q&A - Lots of Interesting Bits

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Orci/Kurtzman Q&A - Lots of Interesting Bits

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The mind meld makes all the difference to the Delta Vega thing. What we see is little more or less than a dream Spock is having about what he saw!

Incidentally... I rather doubt they thought all these things out in advance, really. More than likely they've just looked around at what fans have said and picked out the explanations they like best.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that's the safe bet.
LC wrote:I still don't like it.

We don't see him using anything, for one.

That's a real stretch to label something that incorrect "cinematic license."

PLEASE use some kind of display device next time.
We don't see him observing the event at all. All we see is his mind's representation of it happening.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Rochey wrote:...Admiral Archer is indeed Captain Archer from ENT (so poor Porthos indeed)
I immediately thought that but then did a bit of maths, taking approx 2150 as Porthos's DOB, taking the stardate of ST:XI and taking Scotty's age and thought, hmmmmmm, that would be one old dog :) Still, who's to say that the life expectancy of a dog in a 150 years isn't increased in line with the longevity of a human?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Or maybe it's just a different dog, you know, like parents do when gerbils die, they buy a new one and give it the same name as the one before.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actualy, the dog's name is never said. All Scotty says is that it was "Admiral Archer's pet beagle" or something. Archer could simply have gotten another beagle when Porthos died.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Oh, that works too, I thought the name was mentioned.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Not only did we see merely a representation of what Spock Prime saw, but you'd expect that given Nero's motivations for leaving him there he'd be left close to Vulcan and with means of seeing it clearly.

Indeed, BoT shouldn't be relevant, as the whole point of the opening scene was George Kirk saving 800 lives (and freeing them to alert Starfleet).

OT: I've a friend who has an 18-year old cat.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I am more and more convinced that the Federation's reaction to the Narada was "christ, the Romulans have something NASTY. We've better start building ships that are a hell of a lot bigger, badder, and faster!"

that + more interest in threats generally and the Romulans in particular = much earlier contact with many races.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Nickswitz wrote:Or maybe it's just a different dog, you know, like parents do when gerbils die, they buy a new one and give it the same name as the one before.
That's terrible! How could anyone do that!

Off on a slight tangent though, I've had the same goldfish for 34 years! My parents have looked after it since I left home and it seems to have, I don't know, changed appearance a bit but I put it down to age :)
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I am more and more convinced that the Federation's reaction to the Narada was "christ, the Romulans have something NASTY. We've better start building ships that are a hell of a lot bigger, badder, and faster!"

that + more interest in threats generally and the Romulans in particular = much earlier contact with many races.
That's what I figured, too. A crash course in building to counter the 'new' threat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

My theory is along those same lines: The Narada is what, five miles long, if we believe the guy in charge of the FX? It certainly looks that big.

The Federation thinks the Romulans can field a massive super-ship, so they start designing their ships considerably larger than they would have normally. Since the Connie design is a sensible one, they still arrived at a similar (though much larger) design.

It makes sense to me, anyways.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well it's not like a 700+ metre long ship is especially uber for the Federation. Hell, we build 450 m long ships right now and the only thing that stops us going larger is that they have to physically fit through things like the Panama canal. A 700 m starship is a big jump over a Connie... but 20 year to ramp up from 350 m to 700+ metres is easily within credibility.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:Yeah, that's the safe bet.
LC wrote:I still don't like it.

We don't see him using anything, for one.

That's a real stretch to label something that incorrect "cinematic license."

PLEASE use some kind of display device next time.
We don't see him observing the event at all. All we see is his mind's representation of it happening.
Perhaps, but he did say Nero had marooned him there to watch it.

It was implied in real life. There was nothing to imply that this was a obfuscation because of the dream sequence.

Also, what's with the warp core being multiple segments, and shot out the back instead of downward vertically? :?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

LaughingCheese wrote:Also, what's with the warp core being multiple segments, and shot out the back instead of downward vertically? :?
That's one of the reasons why I'm desperate to see some cutaways or cross sections. :)
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There was a big argument about whether to show the Sovereign warp core ejection in Insurrection. Apparently they say that whilst ejecting the core downward makes great engineering sense, it tends to come across on screen rather as if the ship is dropping a giant turd. I guess they decided to try doing it upwards!

I like having multiple cores - always wanted to see that in a starship, I even did drawings of a Defiant engine room with twin horizontal cores once. It makes perfect sense - redundancy, ability to weather battle damage, all that good stuff.