Let's Fix The Galaxy Class Starship

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Let's Fix The Galaxy Class Starship

Post by Mikey »

Mine too. Staplic - good point bout the lack of torpedo tubes. I guess I'd add a couple or upgrade the ROF.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

Reliant121 wrote:I think the crew quarters should be made smaller, definately. Maybe not to the level of the NX *which I think is appropriate for most large warship size wise* but smaller, but keep the comfort if possible.
The NX class' crew quarters were far too large, IMO. B&B should have taken a tour of modern submarines and have gotten an idea of how cramped enclosed ships can be. Space should have been at a premium and everyone save senior officers should have been forced to share quarters.

As for the E-D, I would deal with the auxiliary craft. Shuttlepods are just silly. It would make sense that an explorer be equipped with rugged small craft that would allow away teams to handle hostile environments and allow teams a measure of self sufficiency if they must be away from the main vessel for any length of time. This is where the Captain's yacht would come in handy.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Smaller crew quarters, but not too cramped.

If it hasn't been fixed yet, fix the warp core.

Increased anti-intruder defenses.

And turning off whatever attracts this week's plot device o' doom would be a big help.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:...And turning off whatever attracts this week's plot device o' doom would be a big help.
Ah, so turning off the lazy and convenient writing, then? :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

"I'm glad you're enjoying your tour of main engineering, admiral."
"What's that over there - behind the warp core?"
"Oh, that? That's the 'wandering doom' magnet."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:...And turning off whatever attracts this week's plot device o' doom would be a big help.
Ah, so turning off the lazy and convenient writing, then? :wink:
Well, you'd think after the twentieth anomaly in a row, Picard would be just a bit suspicious! :lol:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

On top of what has already been said: fix the blasted holodecks so they don't malfunction every week.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I guess a lot's been said already:

more practical size of crew quarters (didn't "Lower Decks" mention junior officers sharing quarters already though?) - maybe even reduce the width of the corridors too (this may require a more extensive makeover depending on how walls of internal spaces are arranged and supported on a GCS spaceframe)

enhanced computer security - what I notice built into Linux is a setup of hierarchical privileges. I can perform administrate tasks (for example with the "sudo" command if using the command line) but must enter my password. I'd expect by then they'd have more than a simple password, though. The 24th Century version of biometric identification a/o implanted ID chips with strong encryption to ID starfleet officers would be a start. Hell, just (hardwire) lock out terminals at certain spots (such as common crew quarters and corridor terminal displays) out of access to anything but basic functions and the user's own files while you're at it!

Enhanced shielding a/o armor is good, along with better supplementary power for the saucer. Replace the damned warp core with something that doesn't explode whenever Geordi sneezes! Put some freaking overload protection into the power conduits, and surge-protect consoles. In addition to more seats on the bridge, maybe put in restraints too!

Yeah, the need for dedicated extraneous facilities like those mentioned is questionable. At least replace the whole lot of dedicated facilities with a few, more efficient multipurpose areas if not another full holodeck and use the space saved for something useful. Train the crew to fight and give them type I phasers. "Security" personnel might have some sort of extra armor, heavier weapons - look like something more than common crewmen with a "security" tag!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

The OP specifically stated improvements on the GCS.
A lot of what's been proposed (smaller corridors, better armor, security, smaller quarters, etc) has already been done.
The ship is called a Sovereign-class ship... :D

If you want to keep the GCS as its originally designed purpose, an long-range explorer with teeth, then I think the DW refit GCS has it.
No more 'splody Warp Core, better weapons and shields.
I agree with Deep's idea, but for every Starfleet ship: add MACO's on board everyship, in order to have true security.
Same thing goes for computer security, all computers in starfleet seem to suffer from weak encryption and security.
Stop using Windows, and devellop a good and stable operating system for the ships.
One that will reliably control Holodecks and everything else.
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I take Marines over MACOs anyday.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

But I'd take MACOs over redshirts any day.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I'd take little boys with water guns over TNG-era crewmen any day :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah but if we're the ones doing the fixing then we get to pick who goes... :twisted:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

True True, so we throw marines on all the starfleet vessels, then they'll have real security, plus give them some automatic weapons, then they can take out waves of intruders. Why did they never use force fields to contain the intruders, they know where they are, and they seem to have force fields everywhere in case of hall breaches, so why not contain intruders with them?
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

They did something like that with Wesley in 'The Game'. And CPH, you're right. But it was just ensigns that bunked together IIRC.