Miranda Class Discussion

The Original Series
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Miranda Class Discussion

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Probably my favourite class of ship in Trek. Simple, compact and a functional design. The vessel is one of the best combat designs in Trek, and the ship itself was capable of giving a Connie a tough time.

Although mostly obsolete and little more than space-faring redshirts by the time of DS9, they were an excellent and capable class for their time.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

This is a class I DETESTED when I first saw it. I don't know why, but it irritated me. But slowly, function overcame form for me as I realized the value of a ship that is equipped like this. Nearly the equil of the Connie, smaller and more manuverable, a smaller target profile, less crew to operate, and (some argue better fields of fire).

I have to say, it grew on me.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Yeah, make me wonder that without the rollbar does she have aft weapons? Looks like all her aft weapons are located in the rollbar (two pulse phasers and the two torpedo tubes)
Genius insania et conseri manum
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

In theory, the pulse phasers could have existed without the rollbar... but without it, there go four torp tubes.

Oh, and it is one of my favorite ships too.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

The Lantree appeared to just have the 12 phaser emitters for armament.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, I did say "in theory".
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Then we have the Soyuz class. What the hell was the armament on that thing?
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Standard Miranda armament, plus one type XIV "big boxy thingy."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Are we sure those "things" were phasers? They could be giant sensor pods for all we know.

And the Soyuz had 4 "big boxy thingies". Unless your talking about something different than what I am talking about. In which case, never mind.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I allways thought of that ship as a mobile sensor platfrom like the SURTASS Ships we have today in the US Navy.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its a practical ship but I find it ugly...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I can see how it can be considered ugly. But for me, practicality has a beauty of its own.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

I...don't understand the love for this ship. The only reason why it did so well against the E-nil at first was because it was caught off guard without it's shields up and Khan was in control. Over the years, it became Star Trek's TIE Fighter, being taken out in one or two hits.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:I...don't understand the love for this ship. The only reason why it did so well against the E-nil at first was because it was caught off guard without it's shields up and Khan was in control. Over the years, it became Star Trek's TIE Fighter, being taken out in one or two hits.
Hardly an accurate analogy. By the time the Miranda-class was as seemingly vulnerable as you say, it was over a century out-of-date. The fact that it was still ready for front-line duty, if unsuccesful, is a testament to the design - not a knock.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Mikey wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:I...don't understand the love for this ship. The only reason why it did so well against the E-nil at first was because it was caught off guard without it's shields up and Khan was in control. Over the years, it became Star Trek's TIE Fighter, being taken out in one or two hits.
Hardly an accurate analogy. By the time the Miranda-class was as seemingly vulnerable as you say, it was over a century out-of-date. The fact that it was still ready for front-line duty, if unsuccesful, is a testament to the design - not a knock.
You don't see the Excelsior being taken out that easily, do you? And its nearly as old as the Miranda-class.