I Hate Enterprise

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: I Hate Enterprise

Post by Teaos »

Well one thing they could have done to make it a LOT better is to not make it trek, keep almost everything else the same but dont pretend its trek.

It was simply whoring out the name to increase interest when they had no intention of following trek rules and canon.

Sure it still would of had shitty story lines and characters but it would have solved the issues of canon and logic.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Rochey wrote:
Please list your reasons why you agree.
Trust me, it'd be far easier for me to not even bother. Imagine a rant the length of Graham and Lazar's combined. It'd be something like that.

In short: It was s**t in every single respect, with virtualy nothing redeeming it.
It gave us Jolene!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Teaos wrote:Well one thing they could have done to make it a LOT better is to not make it trek, keep almost everything else the same but dont pretend its trek.
I was almost hoping that they would do that, because in the beginning they omitted "Star Trek" from the title, but later on they put it in.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
cbosdell
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by cbosdell »

I love Enterprise. It's my favorite series. Sure it had a few bad or boring episodes (Precious Cargo, Rogue Planet, Terra Nova, Oasis, Acquisition, Horizon, Bounty, Extinction, Daedalus) but the rest were all great. It also has my favorite star trek episode "Observer Effect". I think if it had another season people would appreciate it a lot more.

My only disappointment with it is the early cancellation prevented them from showing the Earth-Romulan War and BOTF. I even like TATV and the relaunch Novels ("The Good That Men Do", "Kobayashi Maru", "The Romulan War") are great and really help elevate Enterprise even more in my eyes.

That said this is going to be my only post in this thread since most people here are Enterprise haters and I don't feel like wasting my time arguing with them. The only thing Enterprise outright violated was fanon not canon. People need to realize the difference.

Sure the NX class is very similar to the Akira class but if anything it could be said the Akira design was a throwback to the NX. The Denobulans might well have had their homeworld and most of their species annihilated during the Earth-Romulan war preventing them from being a big player in later centuries.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

cbosdell wrote:...The only thing Enterprise outright violated was fanon not canon. People need to realize the difference.
Yeah, the difference is things shown or mentioned in a previously aired episode = canon. Which Enterprise stepped all over.
cbosdell wrote:Sure the NX class is very similar to the Akira class but if anything it could be said the Akira design was a throwback to the NX. The Denobulans might well have had their homeworld and most of their species annihilated during the Earth-Romulan war preventing them from being a big player in later centuries.
So, they went from advanced, streamlined designs, to bulky, primitive designs, back to streamlined designs again? We've been over this a lot, but I think us having to come up with convoluted explanations for IU discrepancies spotlights the lack of respect for continuity they showed with ENT.

As for the Denobulans (and Nausicaans, and Suliban, etc), "might have" again makes us reach to explain things that should not have been issues in the first place. They could have used more humans, Vulcans, Tellarites, Andorians, etc. instead of introducing dozens of never-before-seen species all within a few hundred* light-years of Earth.

*Distances in ENT are also a peeve of mine. Why the hell couldn't they figure out basic distances and transit times? Was there a serious calculator shortage at Paramount?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
*Distances in ENT are also a peeve of mine. Why the hell couldn't they figure out basic distances and transit times? Was there a serious calculator shortage at Paramount?
The Junior Encyclopedia Of Space doesn't come with a star chart I'm afraid.
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

I wish they either one just did the series right to start with or if they wanted to remake Star Trek in thier image do a reboot or reimagining. I honestly think that would have gone over better.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

cbosdell wrote:The only thing Enterprise outright violated was fanon not canon.
Absolutely incorrect. Things which were established in episodes of prior series are canon, not fanon.
Cpl Kendall wrote:The Junior Encyclopedia Of Space doesn't come with a star chart I'm afraid.
:laughroll:
I thought they were using FTL for Dummies.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"FTL For Dummies" would tell them that having the capital of an imensely powerful alien empire just 4 LYs away is incredibly stupid. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:"FTL For Dummies" would tell them that having the capital of an imensely powerful alien empire just 4 LYs away is incredibly stupid. :P
You mean 1.4 LY, right? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wait, they said Qo'nos is 1.4 LY away?
Shit, and I thought I was being mean by guessing they pegged it at 4 LY.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It was something like the NX-01 being able to reach Qo'Nos from Earth in four days.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"Four days there, four days back". At 125c that's 1.4 ly - just outside the Oort cloud. :roll:

You're probably mixing it up either with the four day trip, or the distance to Alpha Centauri.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I do have to say, they gave more depth to the Tellarites, Andorians and Orions than the other four series combined. And a lot of Vulcan stuff, too.

*Slinks away*
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I do have to say, they gave more depth to the Tellarites, Andorians and Orions than the other four series combined. And a lot of Vulcan stuff, too.

*Slinks away*

True but they royally made hash out of the vulcans early on. Enterprise would have been better served being its own series and not apart of trek I think.
Genius insania et conseri manum