Is TAS Canon?

The Original Series
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Is TAS Canon?

Post by Mikey »

I agree with the viewpoints expressed above on "personal canon," except for one small niggling trifle: the word "canon," in the 'Trek-affiliated sense of the word, is defined as what Paramount says it is. We may all have our own opinions as to what is relevant to our views of the 'Trek universes, and they may be valid ones; but to apply the word "canon" to them is incorrect. In addition, canon must be defined outside any one individual's viewpoint in order to have discussions.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I agree completely.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Chris Propst
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Chris Propst »

Mikey wrote:I agree with the viewpoints expressed above on "personal canon," except for one small niggling trifle: the word "canon," in the 'Trek-affiliated sense of the word, is defined as what Paramount says it is. We may all have our own opinions as to what is relevant to our views of the 'Trek universes, and they may be valid ones; but to apply the word "canon" to them is incorrect. In addition, canon must be defined outside any one individual's viewpoint in order to have discussions.
True, but the only problem is a lack of clarity regarding Paramount's stance on TAS.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Chris Propst wrote:True, but the only problem is a lack of clarity regarding Paramount's stance on TAS.
What lack of clarity? They've been very clear that TAS is non-canon. Any elements that originated in TAS that have since become canon have become such on the grounds of being mentioned in live-action Trek, not because any of TAS itself has been deemed to be canon.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Why does Paramount even care whether or not TAS is canon?

Of course, we could also why any of us care.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Varthikes wrote:Why does Paramount even care whether or not TAS is canon?
To let writers of future episodes know what previously writen Trek they have to adhere to, and which they can ignore.
Of course, we could also why any of us care.
If there was no canon, how could we debate? There would be no definitive statement of what was "real" Trek and what wasn't, which would lead to all sorts of arguments before the real debate even began.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Varthikes wrote:Why does Paramount even care whether or not TAS is canon?
To let writers of future episodes know what previously writen Trek they have to adhere to, and which they can ignore.
Which certain writers of certain episodes of ENT & VOY have ignored, anyway.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Meh, personal canon for the win for me. I use it in Star Trek and Star Wars.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Personal canon is nice for a lot of things. But when it comes to things like debates, or calcing stuff like the power of the GCS, or other info about the universe, going by canon is the only way to get a proper sollution.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And as I've pointed out before, Rochey, I know that. ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Meh, personal canon for the win for me. I use it in Star Trek and Star Wars.
I agree. It's nice for nailing things like WWIII or the Eugenics wars down. Just pick what seems to fit with the rest of established trek.
Rochey wrote:Personal canon is nice for a lot of things. But when it comes to things like debates, or calcing stuff like the power of the GCS, or other info about the universe, going by canon is the only way to get a proper sollution.
I agree.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And as I've pointed out before, Rochey, I know that.
I know. I wasn't aiming that at you, I was just sort of making a general statement.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Question. Robert April made an appearance in TAS.........it's the only time I can remember him being mentioned. Is he cannon or not? Am I forgetting him from anywhere else?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

He only appeared in TAS, so he's probably non-canon.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

He might have been mention in IAMD, but I'm not sure about that.