Biggest Travissty to date coming soon!

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Biggest Travissty to date coming soon!

Post by Nutso »

Mark wrote:Sounds like prozac would go a looooong way there
Mark, if you have the time and some popcorn, read TRAVISSTY
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Man, that's worse than even I thought.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:Traviss' response to people pointing out the flaws in her "3 million man galactic army": "my gut reaction is that they all need garroting" and, infamously, talking about "ripping someone's trachea out of their pitiful unworthy neck". That's why I'll never buy or read one of her books, regardless of their quality or lack thereof - the woman is deranged.
Wow... okay, freaky lady? it's called rolling with the punches, k? By being an author, you've put your work out for criticism. So shut the kriff up.
Mark wrote:Sounds like prozac would go a looooong way there
I'm not so sure, dude...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Yeah, good point. Perhaps Thorizine then?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Reading that made me a little angry. Ok, a lot angry. If I had the technical skills, I'd give them a piece of my mind... is this nightmare still going on?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I gotta agree with Stitch, here. Her behavior and basically getting off scott-free pisses me off, too. She left a trail or bodies, proverbially speaking, in wrongful bans and that cool web blog breaking up.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Wow.....seriously. What the hell is the matter with her?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Mark wrote:Wow.....seriously. What the hell is the matter with her?
Got an hour or two... or three?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

She can't take criticism. It's that patheticaly simple. She stated in one of her novels that the GAR was 3 million strong. Now, anyone who's watched the films would know that's complete BS. Hell, we had larger armies back in WW1, a war which encompassed parts of just one insignificant planet. A galaxy-spanning civil war should involve trillions, at the least.

Naturaly, someone politely pointed out to her that her numbers made little sense when looked at carefully. Her response, instead of discussing the matter rationaly, was to get pissed off, start flaming anyone who disagreed with her, get mods and admins to clamp down on any discussion of the matter, lable all her oponents as "Talifans" and use her position as an author to continue to lash out at her critics. Read through the link that was posted earlier, particularly the part where she writes an article in one of the magazines purely to get at those who criticised her.
is this nightmare still going on?
It never ended. If you look back through this section of the forum you'll probably find a load of us bitching about that loony. Just search the site for "Karen Travis" and you'll find plenty. Search through other SW related sites and you'll find even more. I know that SDN hates her with a passion That's why we're so pissed off that she's been given the job of writing a book on the freaking militaries of SW.

I really don't know why she's remained allowed to write novels for SW. I know she brings in money, but that's not for any writing skill: it's because her novels have "Star Wars" written on the top of them. They could replace her with another writer and they wouldn't lose anything. Surely the people at LFL must have noticed that she's doing nothing but alienating a sizeable portion of the fan base, even turning many of them off the EU altogether. Hell, there's even been a few indications that her fellow SW authors are starting to get fed up with her Mando-wanking (anyone remember that virus that Stackpole [IIRC] created that wrecked the Mandalorian homeworld? I'd bet you anything that was a response to Travis).

Hell, even the guy who does the OVEG videos made a brief attack on her in one of his VOY videos (though he didn't mention her by name).
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:She stated in one of her novels that the GAR was 3 million strong.
Even more pathetically it wasn't even a novel - it was a magazine article, the "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic". A pretty poor one at that, since not only did it contain the numerical bog-up, but the order of battle it included completely ignored the heavy equipment shown at Geonosis.
A galaxy-spanning civil war should involve trillions, at the least.
Indeed, far more than that - the CIS's army was canonically quintillions strong.
I really don't know why she's remained allowed to write novels for SW. I know she brings in money, but that's not for any writing skill: it's because her novels have "Star Wars" written on the top of them.
Ironically, Traviss started off as one of the better Star Wars authors - certainly better than the likes of KJA from what I've heard. Unfortunately the Guide to the GAR article was the start of a pretty steep downward spiral.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, her first novel, which I own, was actually quite good. I actually thought she could turn out to be a very promising author. Not Zahn material by any chance, but a solid addition to the EU nonetheless.
How wrong I was.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

It was Denning who unleashed the nanovirus on Mandalore, Rochey, in Invincible.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I don't know what's so hard about admitting you were wrong. It's not hard to say, "Shit, I fucked up." According to what I read, no one was even nasty to her about it. To turn someone pointing out an error into misogynistic attack on women everywhere, is a sad reflection on her mental well being. Everything's a personal attack if you disagree with Karen Traviss. Whatta nut!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, nobody ever said you had to be completely sane to write Sci-Fi. But, common sense WOULD help, IMHO
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

If the entire Republic army was 3 million strong, than the galaxy would be,...what, maybe 35-40 km across? About 1500 sq. km.? Sure, that sound about right! :roll:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-