Tennant is leaving

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Tennant is leaving

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I've no problem with them flying. It at leasts makes them more threatening when a staircase can't stop the most powerful race in the universe. :P

Agreed with you on the other points, though. The whole bit with the Daleks becomming human was crap, and they were brought back so many times in such great strength, only to be defeated, that they became more of a joke than a threat.

I think that's why the episode Dalek is, in my opinion, a great one. It shows a single Dalek's power, and the Doctor's virtual helplessness when faced with one.

"What's the nearest population centre?"
"Salt Lake city. Why?"
"How many people live there?"
"X million."
"All dead."
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Having pointed out the flaws in concept, I have to say that if they had ended the Daleks there and then, we'd have missed out on the best line in the new series, courtesy of Sec.

"This is not war - this is pest control." :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Hovering I don't mind, its the zipping about like TIE fighters I didn't like.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
colmquinn wrote:Tate was just terrible full stop on that show, then again I don't really like her other shows, so imagine my surprise when she went down in my estimation from the already dizzying heights she held before :)
I felt Tate was much better in the series than I expected, "Turn Left" in particular.
I liked that show but still didn't make up for Tate's character. A loud idiot. I hate loud people. I hate idiots. There's nothing about that character that makes me like her. She's not even attractive.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

They are announcing the new Doctor Who actor tomorrow. (Jan 3rd) I'd like to see Richard E Grant, but he doesn't seem to be on any of the short lists I've seen.
I've got a feeling Paterson Joseph from Survivors will get the TARDIS. The BBC drama department seem to be casting from a very small pool of actors in the last few years, and filling many roles traditionally played by white actors with black actors. He fits the bill on both counts.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Enkidu wrote:They are announcing the new Doctor Who actor tomorrow. (Jan 3rd) I'd like to see Richard E Grant, but he doesn't seem to be on any of the short lists I've seen.
I've got a feeling Paterson Joseph from Survivors will get the TARDIS. The BBC drama department seem to be casting from a very small pool of actors in the last few years, and filling many roles traditionally played by white actors with black actors. He fits the bill on both counts.
Wasn't he (Paterson Joseph) in doctor who already as the guy who won the game on the gamestation when the Dalek attacked? i know I've heard in the past that once you get on dr who you're not going to play the doctor because it'd be confusing for the audience or something - though that was from a number of years ago and as you said they're picking from a small pool of actors so old policies mean little.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

colmquinn wrote:Wasn't he (Paterson Joseph) in doctor who already as the guy who won the game on the gamestation when the Dalek attacked? i know I've heard in the past that once you get on dr who you're not going to play the doctor because it'd be confusing for the audience or something - though that was from a number of years ago and as you said they're picking from a small pool of actors so old policies mean little.
There have been cases of actors turning up repeatedly - notably Colin Baker showed up the in Davison-era "Arc of Infinity" before he replaced Davison as the Doctor, and Lalla Ward was in "The Armageddon Factor" as Princess Astra the episode before she replaced Mary Tamm as Romana. This last one was commented on in-universe - the Doctor initially mistook the regenerated Romana for the Princess.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

My bad, I just remembered seeing an interview with one of the older producers on a dvd extra that said they didn't do it. I must bow to your superior knowledge of older who.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Hm, I was wrong - Matt Smith is the new Doctor. Not someone I'm familiar with. His CV includes a few things I've seen, but I can't place him. The (rather indistinct) picture shows a very thin, very pale bloke - dare I say an Emo or even Goth Who?

EDIT: Linky -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm