Ship of the Week: Venator-class Star Destroyer

SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Ship of the Week: Venator-class Star Destroyer

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:
A Nimitz-class carrier typically carries 80 aircraft, so I don't see a problem with a ship over 30 times its size only carrying a little over five times as many, regardless of the greater size of the aircraft and the space devoted to heavy weapons.
More like almost four times as large man...hehehe...
The Nimitz is 317m long, has a beam of 41m, and a hull depth of 30m - total volume roughly 390,000 m^3.

The VenStar is 1137m long, has a beam of 548m, and a hull depth of 268m, as is a rough pyramid - total volume rougly 27,800,000 m^3.

My very rough estimate based on cubing the length difference was actually a massive underestimate - the VenStar is actually over seventy times the size of the Nimitz.
I was just factoring in the length... :oops:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And I was ignoring the geometrical properties for the sake of hyperbole. Sorry.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, so it's realistic enough. Cool.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Didn't we do this ship already...?

Though I agree with Seafort. There shouldn't be any doubt that the Venator is first a carrier and second a ship of the line.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No, we didn't.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I always liked the Venator. Clean, relatively well designed for the specifics it had to work with.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It looks cool. Thats all that matters.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I see the Venator as the Excelsior of Star Wars. Looks good, does good, lives for a long time, doesn't have to die to be part of a story.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Venators were equipped with powerful engines, a Class 1 hyperdrive with an effective range of 60,000 light-years. Its main reactor could annihilate up to 40,000 tons of hypermatter fuel per second, producing 3.6 × 1024 watts of power.
Whats the source for this? This is the first time that I can think of that they went into this much technobable about power outputs. How does this compare to other Sci-fis?

I like the ship a lot. Not so much in usefulness but how its a stepping stone. Its ability to land and modification abilites make it awesome. But the twin tower idea I dislike. I love how its tested here then never seen again. Since it is a design flaw.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Does anyone else think the number of fighters on board is a bit high? There's 460 in total. Would there really be that much space aboard to house and maintain all those craft?
Rebel and New Republic starfighters use a lot more space. TIEs and especially Seperatist ships you can cram in there like crazy. That said I agree still a shit ton. Makes you wonder why the only two real carriers seen in the later period (or perhaps early EU) held the same as a Star Destroyer just without the extra stuff.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Whats the source for this? This is the first time that I can think of that they went into this much technobable about power outputs
Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections, written by Doctor Curtis Saxton, PhD in astrophysics (IIRC).
How does this compare to other Sci-fis?
Comparisons between universes on the main forum are forbidden. I'll PM you some stats.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:
Comparisons between universes on the main forum are forbidden. I'll PM you some stats.
Really? Cause we've done size comparison before :P We're not doing who can beat up who lol
But reguardless I'd be interested in that PM!

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Size comps should be fine, but things like relative weapon or shield power, etc., easily degenerate into "vs." flame wars.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:Size comps should be fine, but things like relative weapon or shield power, etc., easily degenerate into "vs." flame wars.
Fair enough. Now where's that PM! Damnit why'd Rochey have to say he's sending me one. Can't he have said I have sent you one? I'm going to have to wait a year!

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:...I'm going to have to wait until the universe dies from entropy!
Fixed. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939