Stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say?

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Stupidest thing you've ever heard someone say?

Post by stitch626 »

Very true.
I think tribbles have more intelligence.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wouldn't be difficult.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Fundies...
Atheists, isn't the simple fact that the bible was written by many men and agress with itself proof of God?

As in, all other religions were made by one man. Buddha, Confucius, Muhammed, even some books of the Pagans, like the Metamorphosiswas written by one man. Yet the bible was written by many men, and yet they all agree with each other, because of course it's from G-d.

So isn't that proof, because while other religions agree only because one man wrote it, the bible agree and many men wrote it. :)

well I should add, that they more or less agree. :)
I've heard atheists say that the Bible isn't true?

If that's true then the truth is wrong, PERIOD.
Watch out England:
While I am in London, I am also going to protest outside the Museum of Natural History, which has consistently refused to present visitors with the Biblical account of creationism alongside the highly contentious views of the secular scientific establishment. I also have some business to take care of at Imperial College, as I know for a fact that academics based there have been actively involved in the promotion of heliocentrism to vulnerable young children who attended a summer school there last July.
http://garvanellison.blogspot.com/searc ... -results=7
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I also have some business to take care of at Imperial College, as I know for a fact that academics based there have been actively involved in the promotion of heliocentrism to vulnerable young children who attended a summer school there last July.
Wait, isn't heliocentrism what does happen?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I think that was a large part of Nutso's point. Fucking fundies... :bangwall:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

:sniper: :apc: :chopper: :pulsegun: :bangwall: -- pretty much sums up my feelings on fundies.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I swear, if I ever meet someone who isn't being highly sarcastic when they tell me of their "certainty" that the Earth is flat, and the sun revolves around us, I may just have to remove their tongue from their empty skull.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

In what universe is the Bible self-consistent? :wtf:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:In what universe is the Bible self-consistent? :wtf:
Must be a special edition. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The Bible is self consistent, if you remember that Hebrew and Greek words (and phrases, since it isn't a word by word translation) have multiple translations to any modern language.
And we all know that things tend to sound weird when translated.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The Bible is patently NOT consistent with itself, ESPECIALLY when one compares event narratives in the Gospels.
Rochey wrote:Ah, but wherever the Hebrew version contradicts the English version it's wrong!
Thank you, St. Jerome! (He's the one who originally translated the Vulgate from Hebrew to Latin, and misread a phrase to believe that the Bible stated that Moses came down from Sinai with "horns of light" on his head - thus Michelangelo's bust, and common prejudicial misconception.)

As to the rest... I just can't go back and read them all. I'll either piss myself laughing, or have an aneurysm thinking that people actually convince themselves of these things. I mean, trying to apply thermodynamics to generational genetic drift?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

At the very least you should read the one I posted about the loonie who's convinced that the Earth is flat, it's just hilarious.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I meant, I can't go back and read them all again to comment individually. As to that one, Bible or not, you can WATCH a ship go over the horizon. :bangwall:
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:The Bible is self consistent, if you remember that Hebrew and Greek words (and phrases, since it isn't a word by word translation) have multiple translations to any modern language.
And we all know that things tend to sound weird when translated.
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

How did a translation error cause this contradiction, please?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

How about how two different Gospels claim two different cities of birth for Jesus?
as Bull offed Custer