Your computer!

Important stuff, please read before posting
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Your computer!

Post by Reliant121 »

We construct ours ourselves (not laptops, we have three of them) but desktops. mines got all the top stuff we have in the house.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

My Laptop:
Acer Aspire 5100
Windows XP Pro
AMD Turion 64 Mobile 2.0GHz
512 mb
ATI Express 1100 64 mb
60 Gig HD
17" Widescreen display

My Server:
Custom Built
Ubontu Linux
AMD Athlon XP 2500
512 mb
NVidia Graphics 64mb
4 HD: 1 x 80 Gig (OS Only) 1 x 160 Gig 2 x 400 Gig

The two 400 have just been installed this week, they boost it from 2 x 160. The other 160 will be put into my Desktop as soon as I get a chance.

Desktop:
HP Refurb
Windows XP Home
P4 Dual Core 3.0 GHz
512 mb
Shitty 96 mb Vid Card (Built In)
60 Gig HD
17" HP LCD

And that's all just for me, My Dad runs a Custom Athlon XP 3200 rig and a Laptop.

PS. For those who want to know their Computer's Hardware, such as CPU, Video Card and such you can;

-Go to your Start Menu
-Run
-Type in 'dxdiag'
-It will take a few seconds to get the information but it will tell you what you are running.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Most of the time I'm on my MacBook, which has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2gHz processor, 1 GB ram, 80 GB internal HD, 250 gb external HD for backup. It has tons of built-ins, but its video card won't let me run SPORE! :cry: I love this computer, even though it's nearing it's 2nd birthday. The battery lasts a long time (up to 3 hours).

I also have a custom-built desktop PC running a pirated version of XP Professional. It's only got a 1.something gHz processor, but it's got a 1.5 gigs of ram, a 128mb ATI radeon 9800, and some 80gb HD I had lying around. I don't use it very much, because it's in my bedroom, and my fiancee always wants to take a nap when I'm on it. I suppose I could replace the motherboard and CPU, but since I use it so rarely, and since I can't get any windows updates, that's pretty low on my list.

I have 4 trombones! Wanna hear about them??? :Nerd:
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Thanks to Hurricane Ike, I had to buy a new HD and ditch a stick of RAM, so here are my current specs:

Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz (400 MHz front-side bus)

1 GB PC3200 RAM (I had another 512 of PC2600, but 'twas old, and died after the storm)

1x 160 GB Western Digital HD (the new one - it came with software that finally let my old computer recognize larger drives :D )

1x 320 GB Seagate HD

ATI Radeon 9200 (256 MB RAM). PCI version, unfortunately.

19" Samsung monitor (max res: 1600x1200 - I got it for $200) that weighs about forty pounds.

Plus, all my stuff is silver-and-black; the monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, speakers, all of it. Total coincidence. They happened to all be in my acceptable price range, and fit my needs. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Reliant121 wrote:My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3850

Your what, now?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

:?:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

This "graphics card" is some computer component, I assume?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes. It provides the element that powers graphics. At least, that was my understanding of the term.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I'm confused. What are you getting at Mikey?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nothing, save my own apparent retardation about computer design.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Graphics card (GPU - graphics processing unit) , a part that plugs into the motherboard and runs the processing of graphics and sends output to the monitor. For typical internet use or whatnot, you don't need anything special; but hardcore gamers need high end graphics processors to run high-end games with 3-D graphics smoothly (not to mention business/industrial uses for graphics processing). The figure most commonly quoted for a GPU is its inbuilt RAM. Thus modular design takes the stress of processing graphics off the CPU so that it can concentrate on running your system.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Thanks to Hurricane Ike, I had to buy a new HD and ditch a stick of RAM, so here are my current specs:

Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz (400 MHz front-side bus)

1 GB PC3200 RAM (I had another 512 of PC2600, but 'twas old, and died after the storm)

1x 160 GB Western Digital HD (the new one - it came with software that finally let my old computer recognize larger drives :D )

1x 320 GB Seagate HD

ATI Radeon 9200 (256 MB RAM). PCI version, unfortunately.

19" Samsung monitor (max res: 1600x1200 - I got it for $200) that weighs about forty pounds.

Plus, all my stuff is silver-and-black; the monitor, case, keyboard, mouse, speakers, all of it. Total coincidence. They happened to all be in my acceptable price range, and fit my needs. :)
Definitely seems like upgrades over your old RAM and HDD (you now have more internal HDD space than I, though I still have a 500 GB external). You' d just need to upgrade that CPU and you're rolling (though that would require you to upgrade the motherboard as well, to be compatible with the current Intel socket 775 standard, and you might need to upgrade to DDR2 RAM to be compatible with a modern mobo... hence your problem). I have a 19" widescreen LCD monitor (1680 x 1050)... and all of my new stuff is black (the case being black and silver, but the cordless keyboard/mouse set, monitor, external HDD and even wireless headphones are solid black - I usually don't use speakers anymore with the PC). It's a nice-looking and matching set of equipment. :)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

All I know about graphics cards is that they let me play cool games like Doom 3 or Medieval: Total War. When I need a new one I usualy just walk up to the help-desk at the nearest computer store and ask for the most up to date one they have. I then proceed not to bother getting it upgraded until it becomes so obsolete I can no longer play new games properly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mine was designed to cope with HD television, as my PC was a family experiment with running the Virgin Media Cable box through the TV. That didn't work, but the graphic card is pretty damned powerful. It copes with Legacy (which completely pwned my old computer) with ease.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ah. I guess I have one, then. I tried to download an accelerator once, but it screwed with some of my game interfaces, so I scrapped it.
as Bull offed Custer