RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Another Travissty

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Monroe wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:[
SBS was a piece of shavit, my most-hated book.
I actually liked SBS. it has some errors and the amazing lightspeed flying of the X-Wings was kind of POS but it was fun. I liked the death toll.

KJA I don't mind. Not the best author but he's not terrible. He's got good storylines, just a minimalist.
That's just it. The death toll was one of the reasons I got pissed off about it. Lusa dn Lyric, two of my vaves, got killed off offscreen. DId I mention those two were next gen characters and could've carried the series... if they weren't friggin' Voxyn fodder?

And of course Anakin 'Lucasarts thinks we're idiots!' Solo's death. Brilliant! Kill off the one character who got good development one in the NJO... and leave a gaping hole in the next generation of characters. Let's go back to what is rapidly becoming the geritol generation... :madashell: :madashell: :madashell: :madashell: :madashell: :madashell:

Please keep in mind, I didn't get in through the OT. It was the YJK that got me into SW. And Monroe, I am sorry if I sound like I'm bashing you or anything like that. I'm not, I swear. I jsut get... passionately pissed off by the NJO. *Sigh* And then I feel like an idit after.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't worry, most people hate the NJO too.

Your criticism on how they keep the same old characters alive at the expense of the younger ones is quite valid. I mean, come on, these people have to be getting old at this point. The older characters need to be either killed off or quietly pushed into the background to make way for the newer generation. Seriously, the only character from the films to die at all was Chewbacca. It's ridiculous that you can have this same half-dozen strong group of people on the front lines of every major conflict, yet they never die. The EU writers need to take a lesson from Dan Abnett and let lose with the death tolls on characters we actualy give a damn about.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You forget Rochey that Dan Abnett is just awsome and most on the current SW writers are crap.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I did think killing Anakin Solo was a waste of an amazing character. I know the author of the book about him being on Yavin during the NJO was particuarlly upset about it. But decisions on who to kill off that are important aren't made by single authors alone AFAIK.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:I did think killing Anakin Solo was a waste of an amazing character. I know the author of the book about him being on Yavin during the NJO was particuarlly upset about it. But decisions on who to kill off that are important aren't made by single authors alone AFAIK.
In this case, the decision was made by a single individual - the boss. The original plan for the series had been to kill off Jacen, and have Anakin be the hero of the series by the end of TUF. However, Lucas didn't want two Anakins running around as central characters simultaneously, so the roles were swapped.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

And then Mara Jade dies and Jacen tries to take over the Galaxy while everyone who owes the Solos and Skywalkers and the Jedi for all they've done now turn their backs on them. Great story line... that has only been repeated fifty times in SW. You'd think by now the Jedi would just go... "Fine, you want to be on your own, here you go"... and leave the galaxy to fall apart as it always does. Maybe then the Jedi could go on without having to get killed off all the time for people who could care less about them.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh... okay, thanks all. :)

Who is Dan Abnett?
Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:I did think killing Anakin Solo was a waste of an amazing character. I know the author of the book about him being on Yavin during the NJO was particuarlly upset about it. But decisions on who to kill off that are important aren't made by single authors alone AFAIK.
In this case, the decision was made by a single individual - the boss. The original plan for the series had been to kill off Jacen, and have Anakin be the hero of the series by the end of TUF. However, Lucas didn't want two Anakins running around as central characters simultaneously, so the roles were swapped.

Yes, Seafort. Oh, wait. I worked with four other people named 'Jon' or some variant thereof. Quick, kill the other four! :bangwall:
Deepcrush wrote:And then Mara Jade dies and Jacen tries to take over the Galaxy while everyone who owes the Solos and Skywalkers and the Jedi for all they've done now turn their backs on them. Great story line... that has only been repeated fifty times in SW. You'd think by now the Jedi would just go... "Fine, you want to be on your own, here you go"... and leave the galaxy to fall apart as it always does. Maybe then the Jedi could go on without having to get killed off all the time for people who could care less about them.
Ah, yes. Legacy of the Force was a bad prequel rehash... and that's saying something, too.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Who is Dan Abnett?
He's easily the best writer for 40K, and has written a tonne of stuff for 40K and other things. His Gaunt's Ghosts 40K series, aside from each book being better than the SW EU combined, has realistic casualties in them. As in, characters die. Characters we actualy care about. Hell, he even killed off several of my favourite characters in the series.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Harry Turtledove does that too. That's my approach too. If you're going to kill someone who you gave a name to the reader should care.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. It's fine having redshirts we've never met before die in some situations, but if every character who dies is some nameless guy you were introduced to a paragraph ago then you just shrug and go "sucks for him".
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm glad my writing doesn't suffer from "unkillable main character syndrome". :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thats what i like about Mass effect. alot of these games, the main characters cant be killed. in one situation you have to choose between two of your members to live (on Virmire) and on the same world, you might have to shoot another dude.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah KOTOR did that. Hell I think even my first RPG Shining Force did that.. though come to think of it not nearly enough.. I think half my people had to sit out on missions. Very annoying.

-Remain Star Trek-