Our ship - Random stuff

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Our ship - Random stuff

Post by Mikey »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:How about two seperate bridges, one as the ship main bridge, and the second as the fleet bridge being being something like a command center like at a military command facility or NASA.
In other words, exactly what Teaos had suggested? I like the idea too, but with modern automation I don't think it needs to be that vast.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What Seafort suggested for the fleet command bridge is pretty much the same as what I was thinking exept I would place it in the same area asthe main bridge but behind it and raised a little. This allows instand communication between the fleet admiral and the captain of the most important ship in the fleet. But I do like the idea of a holographic display.

Any other ideas that dont involve the bridge or basic safety systems?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Can we not take it one step further? Have the fleet ops center (command bridge) in like a half moon towards the rear, with a holodeck grid in front, so as to project realtime images of (if slightly smaller) the bridges of each ship. That way, the Commodore can know exactly what move each ship is going to make and the situation instantly.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If we went that way I think it would be better to have those images behind the commodore and have other officers watching them and inform him of anything important. If he was watching them all he would get sensory over load.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Teaos wrote:If we went that way I think it would be better to have those images behind the commodore and have other officers watching them and inform him of anything important. If he was watching them all he would get sensory over load.
Good point. I'm the guy who gets motion sick playing first person shooter games. Why would I want to do that to the poor Commodore?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

What i would do, is have the command deck for the ship one one level with all the standard stuff, then on a raised level behind it, a table with a holographic emitter showing a spherical display of the battle much like that of the Seperatists in SW II.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

What about the crew compliment? Her warp speeds? How many decks?
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mark wrote:What about the crew compliment?
500 - 1000 for me. 20 Command staff (Captain, XO, SO, Department heads), 80 deputies/'secondary' command staff, 200 engineers, 200 security, 100 medical, 200 misc etc
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think you guys are going a little over board on this. If you tone it down a bit then you've all got some great ideas.

The command center should be split so that the ships CO and the fleets CO aren't stepping on each others feet the whole time. If you want a hologram then just have it projected over a normal display screen. If one goes down, just look down at the other. Don't put so many steps into it.

Security, treat it like a government building. Every pc requires ID and passwords, plus guards at certain points along the way. Again, simple and effective.

I would go for an Enviromental system not protected only by force fields. The ship should have its life support set up for each section to be controled on its own.

Add an extra sickbay. Don't want to risk lossing the one and having no where to go.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Oh, with crew I was thinking around 1200. If this is a fleet command ship then you are going to need a number more staff then just for the ship itself.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Excellent points, Deep, especially about the staff for the fleet CiC. And I would compartmentalize everything, not just environmental systems.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Grundig
Commander
Commander

Post by Grundig »

Why aren't there medkits around the ship for situations where transporting patients is impossible? What if ppl are stranded in a turbolift, like Picard with the broken ankle (forgot the ep name)? Why not have some medkit there so they can at least ease the pain and set a broken bone or something....
"I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry."
John Cage
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Grundig wrote:Why aren't there medkits around the ship for situations where transporting patients is impossible? What if ppl are stranded in a turbolift, like Picard with the broken ankle (forgot the ep name)? Why not have some medkit there so they can at least ease the pain and set a broken bone or something....
....Because..um.....that would make sense? :-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

And thus would cost another tribble it's life. But seriously folks, can we have strategically placed medkits on the Paladin? Would anyone object?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not at all - it'd be sensibleto have them in all compartments.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.