20%

Total votes: 10
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What type of ship?

Post by Mikey »

You don't need to trump anything - the Romulans would ALMOST certainly have FTL drive to get where they were/had been, and Scotty's quote doesn't contradict the idea that they had FTL drive.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:Romulans don't have FTL drive? Find out what you're referring to before you mock it. TOS:BoT posited, per Scotty, that the Romulan ship had "simple impulse POWER" (my emphasis,) not that they didn't have FTL drive.
I was being sarcastic. But that is or was a commonly accepted fact by the fans. Much like how lasers and atomic weapons used to be accepted as weapon used by humans in the Earth-Romulan war.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nope. Lasers and atomics are supported by canon; Romulans w/o FTL drive are not.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
I was being sarcastic. But that is or was a commonly accepted fact by the fans.
If they didn't actually examine the facts and dialogue in the episode. Scotty says their power is "simple impulse" not their propulsion.
Much like how lasers and atomic weapons used to be accepted as weapon used by humans in the Earth-Romulan war.
Unfortunately Spocks dialogue has no ambiguity to exploit.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:Unfortunately Spocks dialogue has no ambiguity to exploit.
But visuals trump dialog. End of story.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I must've missed the part where we saw any visuals from the Earth-Romulan war...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Tsukiyumi wrote:I must've missed the part where we saw any visuals from the Earth-Romulan war...
We saw the NX-01 before and after the Romulan War. It was armed with phase cannons and photonic torpedoes in both cases. So why would they downgrade during a war?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Yeah, no visuals of the Romulan War. And there were exactly two NX class vessels in service during ENT, as someone here has mentioned they could have been to expensive or complicated to mass-produce. Remember it took thirty years to develop and build the NX-01. Obviously this is not mature technology and falling back on an old standby nicely explains the kink in continuity.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

At any rate, I suggest that we STFU about this and agree to abide by the poll decision or scrap the entire idea and set an RPG in a different setting. Like the Cardassion War or some such.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Yeah, no visuals of the Romulan War. And there were exactly two NX class vessels in service during ENT, as someone here has mentioned they could have been to expensive or complicated to mass-produce. Remember it took thirty years to develop and build the NX-01. Obviously this is not mature technology and falling back on an old standby nicely explains the kink in continuity.
So you agree then that NX-class ships shouldn't be weaker, but rather they were too expensive to mass-produce during the war? Now I'm confused because you were saying something else earlier. :?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Cpl Kendall wrote:At any rate, I suggest that we STFU about this and agree to abide by the poll decision or scrap the entire idea and set an RPG in a different setting. Like the Cardassion War or some such.
Good Lord do we need another poll!?! :-)

Heres another suggestions: those of u/us who don't like whats being done w/ the thread can quietly acquiecs and either deal with it, or simply not participate. No one is forcing you to get involoved.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
So you agree then that NX-class ships shouldn't be weaker, but rather they were too expensive to mass-produce during the war? Now I'm confused because you were saying something else earlier. :?
No, I'm saying their weapons would have been to expensive and complicated to mass produce.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
No, I'm saying their weapons would have been to expensive and complicated to mass produce.
They had no problem building a pair of phase cannons out of spare parts with no support in a matter of days, so...that doesn't quite work.

I say we create two RPs. A canon ENT era RP and a a faux ENT era RP
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
They had no problem building a pair of phase cannons out of spare parts with no support in a matter of days, so...that doesn't quite work.
At any rate, I will abide by the decision of the polls and not engage in any further distraction.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I vote for NX with canon stats. Why downgade the statts at all?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"