Place of the Week: Coruscant

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Place of the Week: Coruscant

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:In truth, though, there's something that doesn't sit quite right about the idea of "Planetary X" - be it a planetary city, swamp, forest, ocean, desert, or whatever. Planets should be diverse.
I agree with most of those - it simply doesn't make sense that a single environment should come to dominate the whole planet and it remains inhabitable.

City-planets are a slightly different matter because they're artificial - while there's no reason why a single natural environment should come to dominate, a planetwide city is at least a vaguely plausible (if unlikely) outcome of urban sprawl.
I agree. Though Ocean worlds are very likely. We have found one ourselves (Remains to be seen if its water or ice). I think though that city planets aren't as far fetched. If transportation can be made cheaply enough I don't see why a dozen agriculture worlds couldn't feed Coruscant.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote:Although it's a dismal depiction, I like the idea of the hive worlds in WH40k. The whole surface isn't given over to sprawl, but the major hives are much like Trantor or the lower levels of Coruscant.
Except Holy Terra, there isn't even an ocean. They've been consumed and city built on them.
There were other hive worlds with oceans... in the Eisenhorn trilogy at least, that I can recall offhand.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
There were other hive worlds with oceans... in the Eisenhorn trilogy at least, that I can recall offhand.
Oh indeed, I was trying to say that Holy Terra was the exception amongst hive worlds. I'm pretty sure that even Armageddon had an ocean.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Monroe wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:In truth, though, there's something that doesn't sit quite right about the idea of "Planetary X" - be it a planetary city, swamp, forest, ocean, desert, or whatever. Planets should be diverse.
I agree with most of those - it simply doesn't make sense that a single environment should come to dominate the whole planet and it remains inhabitable.

City-planets are a slightly different matter because they're artificial - while there's no reason why a single natural environment should come to dominate, a planetwide city is at least a vaguely plausible (if unlikely) outcome of urban sprawl.
I agree. Though Ocean worlds are very likely. We have found one ourselves (Remains to be seen if its water or ice). I think though that city planets aren't as far fetched. If transportation can be made cheaply enough I don't see why a dozen agriculture worlds couldn't feed Coruscant.
Wasn't saying that a city spanning planet is impossible, my comment was more about the desirability of it.

On transporting food, if you can cheaply ship enough food to feed a population like that, then you can just ship the people around instead. That way you don't have a city planet and nine agricultural ones to support it, you just have ten worlds that are each 10% city with a lot of commuting between them. Advantages are that your population has fast and easy access to oceans and green spaces, plus it's ten times harder for a natural disaster or war or whatever to kill your population.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Monroe wrote: Though Ocean worlds are very likely.
I believe the proper term is waterworld. That was a good movie. Not the most plausible, with several scientific inaccuracies. But one of the best battle scenes ever IMO.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I believe the proper term is waterworld. That was a good movie. Not the most plausible, with several scientific inaccuracies. But one of the best battle scenes ever IMO.
This must be some definition of the term "good" with which I was previously unfamiliar. Lord, what a stinker!
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote: This must be some definition of the term "good" with which I was previously unfamiliar. Lord, what a stinker!
Come on dude, it was so bad it was awesome! Would have been cool to have an Ithakan wyrm pop up mid-battle and eat some Smokers though.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
On transporting food, if you can cheaply ship enough food to feed a population like that, then you can just ship the people around instead. That way you don't have a city planet and nine agricultural ones to support it, you just have ten worlds that are each 10% city with a lot of commuting between them. Advantages are that your population has fast and easy access to oceans and green spaces, plus it's ten times harder for a natural disaster or war or whatever to kill your population.

Oh I agree. But Star Wars people behave very much like modern day people. It would make sense for Mexico to have 10 cities of around equal size than Mexico City with a huge bulk of the country's population. You need the infrastructure for a Empire / Republic expanding millilons of worlds. So you would need millions of senators right then. If there are 40k lobyiests in America you could expect maybe a billion in Star Wars. Then you would need foods and services for that huge population. Then you would need manufacturing to be done for those people. Then you would need people moving to Coruscant to find work. Its also has perhaps the largest university in the galaxy. So you'd need everything that comes with a college town. Then because its so important you'd need a vast military. Vast shipping companies. And so on.

I can see how it can easily explode out of control. But the question is... when the Zhell first covered it in city why? For the Infinate Empire? They came a bit later. For the Architects? Or where Zhells and Taungs just city dwellers?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:I believe the proper term is waterworld. That was a good movie. Not the most plausible, with several scientific inaccuracies. But one of the best battle scenes ever IMO.
This must be some definition of the term "good" with which I was previously unfamiliar. Lord, what a stinker!
I thought the chick he hooked up with in the movie was hot.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote: This must be some definition of the term "good" with which I was previously unfamiliar. Lord, what a stinker!
Come on dude, it was so bad it was awesome! Would have been cool to have an Ithakan wyrm pop up mid-battle and eat some Smokers though.
No, it was so bad that it was really bad.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I think Coruscant's always been covered. Well, what I mean is, except maybe for the Zhells and Taungs, it's always been a city-covered mess.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I think Coruscant's always been covered. Well, what I mean is, except maybe for the Zhells and Taungs, it's always been a city-covered mess.
According to EU since 95,000 BBY.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:
According to EU since 95,000 BBY.
What does BBY mean anyways? Is this 95,000 years before the Republic becomes the Empire?
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Before Battle of Yavin or ABY- After Battle of Yavin.

-Remain Star Trek-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Monroe wrote:
Mikey wrote:
I thought the chick he hooked up with in the movie was hot.
I love that first battle scene though. No subplot other then survive and escape and maybe take out a few bad guys.