Ship of the Week: Nebulon-B Frigate

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Reliant121 wrote:

tens of thousands.
only?
I guess they mean that's a tiny number in terms of patrolling the whole galaxy with.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Reliant121 wrote:

tens of thousands.
only?
When your Empire holds millions of systems and hundreds of trillions of subjects that's a very small drop in the bucket.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Attacking the spine of that thing's a well-known military tactic. Krennel calls it 'breaking its back' in 'Isard's revenge'. A horrid design flaw, there.

And it's supposed to be able to carry two squadrons of starfighters. Thing is, where? I don't see much room for that in this spindly piece of junk.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Attacking the spine of that thing's a well-known military tactic. Krennel calls it 'breaking its back' in 'Isard's revenge'. A horrid design flaw, there.

And it's supposed to be able to carry two squadrons of starfighters. Thing is, where? I don't see much room for that in this spindly piece of junk.
The front section carries the fighters. And what would Star Wars be without a design flaw?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

If I understand correctly part of the novelty of the origional Star Wars was their odd ship designs.

Prior to that spaceships were shiney, symetrical, and generally looked like they belonged in the back of some womans sock drawer.

Star Wars ships were all funky. It's quite possible Lucas realized which designs were winners as the Millenium Falcon and Star Destroyers took center stage. These things are funky enough to be interesting, but not good enough for a "lead role" as it were.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

IIRC, it was intentional all along to have the difference between the rough, utilitarian original trilogy ships and the sleek, clean prequel ones.

And did I once hear correctly that the Falcon design was inspired by Lucas' half-eaten burger and an olive on a toothpick?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

sunnyside wrote:If I understand correctly part of the novelty of the origional Star Wars was their odd ship designs.

Prior to that spaceships were shiney, symetrical, and generally looked like they belonged in the back of some womans sock drawer.

Star Wars ships were all funky. It's quite possible Lucas realized which designs were winners as the Millenium Falcon and Star Destroyers took center stage. These things are funky enough to be interesting, but not good enough for a "lead role" as it were.
Actually according to Wookiepedia (dammit you guys have me actually looking up SW stuff on a SW Wiki) the um... Corvellan? corvette, the thing that carried Leia at the beginning of Ep IV, was the original Millenium Falcon. It was decided (it implies by the team overall, rather than by Lucas himself) that it looked too much like every other traditional spacecraft to be unique.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

IIRC, the Consular class cruiser was based on rejected concept art for the Falcon.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:IIRC, the Consular class cruiser was based on rejected concept art for the Falcon.
Aye: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Consular ... ce_cruiser
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Mikey wrote:And did I once hear correctly that the Falcon design was inspired by Lucas' half-eaten burger and an olive on a toothpick?
Yes, that is correct. The final design was based as such, though I don't see it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:IIRC, the Consular class cruiser was based on rejected concept art for the Falcon.
It is, though I think it's based on that design because it wasn't rejected but swapped with the blockade runner concept art, and then modified further to become the final CR90 design. The idea was to make the TMP cruiser a predecessor of the blockade runner.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, right.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

There are levels of design flaws. This one has one of the bigger ones I've seen. Albeit my knowledge is limited, but still...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Right up there with the hole in the 1st DS.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

stitch626 wrote:Right up there with the hole in the 1st DS.
One bend in the tube would've been fine. ;) Or a simple grate over the port.