What have ships done without warp cores?

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There is almost no point in running them on 15%. It would be a secondary power unit that is better used on other things like... keeping people alive.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Several times in battle, they have taken power from life support to power shields and weapons. If your ship blows up, it doesn't matter that you were comfourable the whole time.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Surviving the battle dosent matter if your dead from cold and no Oxygen.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

But you wouldn't survive the battle if you died of no oxygen. Besides, life support includes showers (most likely), lights, gravity, heat, ventilation, and you could move power around enough.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Whats Phasers at 10% gonna do?

If your in that bad of shape your pretty much screwed.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Without warp power, they still have EPS and fusion reactors. Thet should be suffitient for something. Besides, I'd take the 2% chance of survival over 0% anyday. Unless I knew that whoever we were fighting would accept surrender (yes I'd surrender.). Of course, if it be the Borg, I'd do a last bit of damage and ram the ship (despiration, Worf style).
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Besides, E-E in Insurrection didn't have a warp core, and they were able to fire phasers fine.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'd rather keep my ship habitable and hope for the best.

Most people accept surrender. Most people arent beat by a ship at 10% power.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The E-E in Insurrection worked fine without a warp core. Used phasers to destroy the collector and diable Ruafo's ship. Having phasers only work with warp is a bad idea.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Hmm checking Insurection. Well after losing the core Riker used his character shield to take out two ships with a could of gas.

After that the shimp moves around fine under impulse (I do think it's well established the fusion plant for the impulse engines is just find for moving at impulse speeds.

Then I believe it gets one good phaser raking on the Son'a ship. (The collecter was taken out by picard I'm pretty sure).

So that might be about right.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

You're right about the collector, sorry. :oops:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The point is, it's phasers were not solely tied to the WC. And limiting the availability of your primary armament in that manner stretches even Starfleet's design idiocy. I mean, a 5-year-old wouldn't build a toy ship like that.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah sure they could be tied into a weak secondary power unit but not doing so hardly cripples the ship and is not te hight of stupidity.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sure it is. How much more resource-intensive could it be to have your weapons set up as a normal powered system rather than tied directly and exclusively to only one of your available power sources? You need your phasers most when the situation is bad, not when it's good.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But your in a bad situation and if you di plug in your phasers to that other power unit they are going to be working at far below capacity while taking power away from life support and other vital areas.