Voyagers path II

Voyager
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

stitch626 wrote:And they were about halfway through?

So the rest of the trip should have taken (without extra boosts) around 35 years.
I think Teaos said they were a little over halfway, and that the ship shouldn't have taken 22 more years to reach home from what we know of the course and rather large jumps. I could be mistaken.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

With a little over halfway, 22 yrs isn't a stretch.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Half of 70 is 35 (wow I did that in my head)

So it should have taken 35 but did take 20 something. So they obviously did make a few jumps but nothing like the 20k one they did by raiding the Borg.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The figure of 48kly travelled only takes the jumps into account - they were averaging slightly under 1000c, so they would have actually travelled about 55kly, leaving them 15kly to go. The tallies almost perfectly with the 16 year trip the original Voyager took from the transwarp hub to Earth.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But the amount of time they stopped to look at a Nebula would have really cut into that.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:But the amount of time they stopped to look at a Nebula would have really cut into that.
Maybe after enough people died Janeway realized that she couldn't afford to keep losing people by investigating every Nebula and pissing off every other species. This would however reduce the chances of finding shortcuts along the way as well.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Which works out perfectly.

They just went in a straight fast line and took ages. They used to look at everything thus found lots of shortcuts.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Teaos wrote:But the amount of time they stopped to look at a Nebula would have really cut into that.
Maybe after enough people died Janeway realized that she couldn't afford to keep losing people by investigating every Nebula and pissing off every other species. This would however reduce the chances of finding shortcuts along the way as well.
In fairness also, I think the "realistic consideration" that they might not reach the Alpha Quadrant during their lifetimes must have had some weight on their decisions as well. Beyond just the routine or necessary stops for required resupplies, they also sort of passingly "considered" joining life on friendly planets they encountered many times, and also kept an eye out for technology or items which would help improve long term life on Voyager.

A long, straight line with no stops, no discoveries, no trade, etc. would not only eliminate the possibility of shortcuts but also would have meant most of the crew on the ship would have lived out their lives and died just performing routine duties along the straight line home. Not much of a life, honestly.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is also the fact thaVoyager couldnt go full speed the whole time. It needed to slow down for maintence and cool down. May as well do that at a Nebula.

Josiah Thompson
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Voyagers path II

Post by Josiah Thompson »

I did a comment on the Voyager YATI page, and I'll summarize it here.

Why doesn't Janeway use the Bajoran Wormhole? She was just at Deep Space 9 before the ship was swept away!
At the time, the Dominion weren't at war with the UFP yet, so why didn't she take the risk?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I just looked up the time line and while war hadnt been officially announced yet the Dominion was in hostile contact and known to be unfirendly. Here is the link to the DITLtime line. It shows the series of events.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even if they weren't at war, waltzing through Dominion space wouldn't have been a very good idea. The Feds already knew they were unfriendly.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Even if they weren't at war, waltzing through Dominion space wouldn't have been a very good idea. The Feds already knew they were unfriendly.
Not to mention that they knew of the shield-penetrating polaron beams, and the fact that the extent of Dominion space was probably a big ? at the time Voyager got lost. Personally I'd have rather dealt with them than the Borg, but I can understand why they wouldn't try.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, they didn't realise the Borg resided there at that point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:Well, they didn't realise the Borg resided there at that point.
I could've sworn Janeway made a comment about anticipating running across Borg space in "Scorpion".

I'm saying I'd rather have dealt with the Dominion than the Borg. Dominion ships don't have Transwarp, and Voyager is fast. Just my opinion.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939