Constitution numbers

The Original Series
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Perhaps there were other large ships from member planets other than Earth. Maybe Vulcan and Andor (or whatever it was called) and all of the others had their own ships.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I believe it is in the founding constitution (the document) that member races must contribute to star fleet.

I also doubt the Federation would allow independent navy. To muh of a risk to stability.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry, what I meant was that their ships would be part of starfleet but not crewed by majority humans.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:I also doubt the Federation would allow independent navy. To muh of a risk to stability.
Well, I believe that's how the US started off. Each state having it's own military force. Not a true army, but more like a local defence force. Where the local forces answered to the local state government. However the Civil War united all of armed forces under the federal government.

Even if I got that completely wrong that's still how the Federation could've started off. Slowly uniting government run space forces under one command.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well, I believe that's how the US started off. Each state having it's own military force. Not a true army, but more like a local defence force. Where the local forces answered to the local state government. However the Civil War united all of armed forces under the federal government.
The Federation is over 100 years old more than enouh time to consilidate power.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wait... Was that quote from 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', to the air force captain?

If so, then maybe he was lying?

If not, never mind and ignore.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah it was. But I see no reason for him to lie then. Even if he said they were only on Mars the guy would have been impressed.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Constitution class was rather new at that point, right? It's possible that they went on to build more in later years, but had only a dozen at the time Kirk made that quote. That would seem to go well with what we know.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:The Constitution class was rather new at that point, right? It's possible that they went on to build more in later years, but had only a dozen at the time Kirk made that quote. That would seem to go well with what we know.
Well the E-nil had been in service for at least 10 years at that point and many argue 15 if Captain April is canon. But since the Constitution was NCC-1700 and the numbers were in order(which they aren't) and the E-nil was the second ship of the class and they built one ship of the class every year, with some extra time for the testing and trial runs for the prototype ship then that could fit the dozen ship count at that time and still be withen accepted canon and even semi-canon timelines.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That seems like the most likely option, then.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Did Rochey just agree with me? :shock:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh.....no! :P
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Ow! My paradigm hurts! :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I'm apt to agree with what Graham is saying. 12 seems reasonable for that. And under that, lets just say the Hermes/Paladin class scouts/destroyers number in the dozens/hundreds, add in some tugs, carriers, and maybe light corvettes, and its a reasonable fleet for Starfleet.

For an appropriate analogy: In WWI, when the U.S. joined the war, there were only a handful of those trained to pilot planes. Within 100 years, how many planes does the navy has? Each requiring thousands of times more resources than the original planes. Nothing to say some major fleet building couldn't have been done in the next 50-100 years.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I suppose if the fleet numbers were topped up with smaller classes. I would still like to beiieve SF had at least 30 of them though.