Iron Man

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Just saw it, but won't spoil anything.
I really enjoyed it. In my opinion, the best comic-made-into-movie yet.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just saw it today. Not bad at all... not quite as good as I had hoped / expected after reading the reviews, though.

Some spoilers...

I just about bought the idea of him making his suit in captivity. It's silly... but they pulled it off by having a bunch of high tech weapons to hand for him to cannibalise, and by making the suit primitive enough that it looked like you might just be able to knock it up in your back yard.

Good performances all round I thought... loved Robert Downey Jr., I've always been a fan of his and it's nice to see him doing good stuff again.

I wish the big final battle had gone on longer, though. What was there was awesome, but it felt too short.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I just about bought the idea of him making his suit in captivity. It's silly... but they pulled it off by having a bunch of high tech weapons to hand for him to cannibalise, and by making the suit primitive enough that it looked like you might just be able to knock it up in your back yard.
That is actually not a spoiler, and not something done for the movie. That is the original origin of Iron Man from the comics. Even the heart magnet was in the original. The only thing that changed was the location, Middle-East as opposed to Vietnam. All of that was basically as close to an exact lift from the books as you can get, given 45 years have passed.

I actually give the film makers props for keeping it. I do not have problems with comic movies messing up timelines from the books. Afterall, you are trying to put 5 decades of comics into a couple hours of film. I DO hate it when they completely change things for no reason at all. Why completely change origins and stuff like that?

Kudos to the Iron Man writers and producers for keeping his origin the same even though it is a bit campy and unrealistic.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Jim wrote:That is actually not a spoiler, and not something done for the movie.
It's still a spoiler if you didn't know that. Me, I'd never even heard of Iron Man until a few weeks ago.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Jim wrote:That is actually not a spoiler, and not something done for the movie.
It's still a spoiler if you didn't know that. Me, I'd never even heard of Iron Man until a few weeks ago.
True. I just considered a spoiler somethign that would be a surprise in the movie, something unexpected. Granted that if you know nothing about a movie then everything is a spoiler... but someone telling basic pot and storyline doesn't spoil anything.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Actually, having not seen it yet, I'm very glad to know that the origin story was kept intact (except for the context.) I happen to be old enough to know of and appreciate the origin story, and I also appreciate the desire to keep it intact. Iron Man was one of the great, classic Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Silver Age characters, and doesn't deserve to be fiddled with.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

This IS the spoiler... someone filmed it and posted it online. Do not click if you do not want to see it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=867_1210003578
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I hate when people film movies and then post them online.
If I want to see a movie, then I will either pay to see it in theatres or wait for the DVD.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There are movies I download to watch, but I rarely watch copies that were done with a camcorder - the quality is too poor. I far prefer getting a DVD rip.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Eh, I have too much respect for the people who worked hard to make the movies to get illegal copies.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The movies I download don't have any effect on those who made them, so it's not an issue.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Oh, ok.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Finally saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse. Very cool, especially with beer and chips & queso :wink: . Plus, I got to see it for free because my friends work there. Can't beat that.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Jim wrote:This IS the spoiler... someone filmed it and posted it online. Do not click if you do not want to see it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=867_1210003578
Yep. I left too early to see that. :oops:

Iron Man was better than I thought. The teasers and trailers didn't look so hot, but Jon Favreau really blew me away. It was a great decision casting Robert Downey Jr., a great actor who would shine under Favreau, as Favreau is the kind of director who let's his actors ad lib. Jeff Bridges looks scary without hair.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Iron Man

Post by Deepcrush »

IRON MAN WAS PERFECTION!

And, thats all I have to say about that.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu