Anyone A Fan Of The Traviss Written Star Wars EU?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Didn't she also have some crap about the Jedi Council conspiring with Palpatine to prolong the war? :roll:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:Didn't she also have some crap about the Jedi Council conspiring with Palpatine to prolong the war? :roll:
Yes, I forget which book (use that term with caution around her) it was though.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Garbage. Something told me to stop reading after Zahn's novels, and it looks like I was smart to listen to that voice.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There are still a few gems around - Zahn's work has remained high quality, and there have been some good Clone Wars novels, the Traviss shit aside. James Luceno's "Labrynth of Evil" and "Dark Lord", and Matthew Stover's novelisation of "Revenge of the Sith" are all spoken very highly of.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Garbage. Something told me to stop reading after Zahn's novels, and it looks like I was smart to listen to that voice.
As Seafort has mentioned, Dark Lord is excellent. I'd say better than Zhan's work, I haven't read much else since him aside from the KJA works and the AOTC ICS.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

As craptastic as KJA's books were, they were at least ten thousand times better than Travis' ones. See, they do have a plot, and it's not just page upon page of Mandowank. Also, he hasn't threatened to tear anyone's throat out, which is a bit of a plus for the guy's mental stability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:As craptastic as KJA's books were, they were at least ten thousand times better than Travis' ones. See, they do have a plot, and it's not just page upon page of Mandowank. Also, he hasn't threatened to tear anyone's throat out, which is a bit of a plus for the guy's mental stability.
I understand that he's actually good natured about fans of various series he's worked hating him. Dune fans are none to pleased with his work and he had wrote for a Battletech ripoff series that was pretty bad as well.

Odd that he hasn't raped the ST EU yet.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd say he's done enough damage in the Dune universe for one man.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I love KJA's SW work, seriously. The Jedi Academy Trilogy and Young Jedi Knights are among my favorite SW novels and a billion times better than anything from the NJO/DNT/LOTF Trilogy of Suck.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A billion times better than the new books? Yep, definitely. However, horse manure is also a billion times better than the new books, so that's not saying much.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, but it's not horse manure...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It does, however, have the Kathryn Janeway of Star Wars - Corporal Daala.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, but it's not horse manure...
Quite right. This particular crap is made of paper, rather than assorted foodstuffs.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Garbage. Something told me to stop reading after Zahn's novels, and it looks like I was smart to listen to that voice.
Careful about the Zahn praise. He's a minimalistic author. Him and Stackpole (sp?) despite being good authors both horrendiously under estimate the armies of Star Wars and both agreed with her numbers.

And I didn't think Admiral Daala was inempt. Her geneious was just over played.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Monroe wrote:Careful about the Zahn praise. He's a minimalistic author. Him and Stackpole (sp?) despite being good authors both horrendiously under estimate the armies of Star Wars and both agreed with her numbers.
Zahn's a good enough author for the minimalism to be overlooked, particularly since a few mental gymnastics can rationalise them. The importance of the Katana Fleet can be explained as the effect of 200 small, weak ships as a concentrated force, when most of the heavies had been recalled to Byss and the Rebellion hadn't got going with full-scale warship construction. The "25,000 star destroyers" quote can be rationalised as only referring to ISD IIs like the Chimaera.

Stackpole's horrendous treatment of the fall of Imperial Centre, on the other hand, doesn't have a leg to stand on.