Size of the Dominion

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Doctor had extensive experience with Nano probes unlike most people.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ummm... You said it your self they attacked us in the graveyard before we made any hostile move towards them. So they attacked first taking away a large part of your arguement.
They attacked while Voyager was snooping around 8472 controled space. Voyager was in their territory.
Or it could mean the weak will perish... and considering everything in our Galaxy is weak compared to them it would seem they would all perish. You have to distort the meaning to your own means I take them as they were said.
Yes, becuase taking the quote in the context it was said clearly counts as 'distorting'. :roll:
The quote was said during the middle of combat. Which is more likely, that the pilot was talking about the whole galaxy? Or simply that Voyager would be destroyed?
They are a species that are the only one from there area. Until recently they were unaware of any othr species. Thus the appearence of hundreds of other species may have severly scared them and caused them to restore their sole species universe.
Why? What proof do you have of that? Humanity does not know of any other sentient race, does that mean that if we met one, we would try to restore our own place as the only sentient race?
And, keep in mind that, despite knowing about our galaxy and probably the existance of life, they waited for someone to attack them before engageing in war.
You have no evidence it was psycological warfare. You have to take it literally until proven wrong by canon.
I am taking it as it is said, and taking into acount the conditions in which it was said. Becuase of that, it seems quite clear that it was just a threat.
I will also point out the noticeable lack of other races 8472 attacked. They engaged one race in combat; the Borg. No other species was attacked during the war. And the only other race they were planning to attack was the Federation, not the Klingons, not the Dominion, not any of the Delta Quadrant, just the Federation and the Borg, the two races who had attacked them.
No as I stated they attack us first for no reason in the graveyard
We were invading their territory. They had every right to attack us.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It wasn't their territory. It wasnt even their Galaxy.
Why? What proof do you have of that? Humanity does not know of any other sentient race, does that mean that if we met one, we would try to restore our own place as the only sentient race?
Yes we would try to kill/enslave them if we could. Humans hate what is different. Read pretty much any history book for evidence.
I will also point out the noticeable lack of other races 8472 attacked.

Thats because the only place we saw them was in Borg space. Why say purge our Galaxy or destroy the weak when they could just kill us or say they are going to kill us. They have no reason to intimidate when they can just swat us away like a bug.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It wasn't their territory. It wasnt even their Galaxy.
Yes, it was their territory. They had conquered it, they were in control, they owned it.
Yes we would try to kill/enslave them if we could. Humans hate what is different. Read pretty much any history book for evidence.
Only if we're talking about Imperial-era humans, or if the planet underwent mass religious upheaval. Aside from that, no we wouldn't. There would naturaly be fear and paranoia, but we would hardly go as far as genocide. Especialy if said race was peacefull and willing to share technology.
Thats because the only place we saw them was in Borg space.
Irrelevant. Did we see evidence of other races being attacked? No. Did we see a Klingon version of the Starfleet HQ simulator? No.
Ergo, we can assume that they did not attack anyone else, and nor did they plan to. There is zero canon evidence for them attacking, or planning to attack, other races.
Why say purge our Galaxy or destroy the weak when they could just kill us or say they are going to kill us. They have no reason to intimidate when they can just swat us away like a bug.
Intimidation and psychological warfare always helps. And it transpired that they weren't able to swat us away.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Only if we're talking about Imperial-era humans, or if the planet underwent mass religious upheaval. Aside from that, no we wouldn't. There would naturaly be fear and paranoia, but we would hardly go as far as genocide. Especialy if said race was peacefull and willing to share technology.
Holy wars, slavery, the modern Jihad, hate crimes these are all examples of hating what is different and hardly ancient history.
Irrelevant. Did we see evidence of other races being attacked? No. Did we see a Klingon version of the Starfleet HQ simulator? No.
Hard to see other races being attacked when there arent any other races around. Canon dialog shows they did not just want to destroy the Borg but everything.

The reason there was a Starfleet simulator and not a Klingon or other race was because we are the only ones who pose a real threat to them.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Holy wars, slavery, the modern Jihad, hate crimes these are all examples of hating what is different and hardly ancient history.
You are right there. But the fact remains that it is extremely unlikely that the whole planet would unite to commit xenocide. While there may be factions who would commit such acts, this can hardly be applied to the species as a whole.
Hard to see other races being attacked when there arent any other races around. Canon dialog shows they did not just want to destroy the Borg but everything.
1) Yes, there are other races. The Delta Quadrant dosen't belong solely to the Borg.
2) I have already show that that dialog can be interpreted in multiple ways. Taking into acount the lack of attacks on other races, my interpretation seems more likely.
The reason there was a Starfleet simulator and not a Klingon or other race was because we are the only ones who pose a real threat to them.
Or maybe it was becuase we were the only race they were at war with?
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

...........or maybe they had other simulators.....................
..........or maybe there was only enough information retrieved from voyagers' databanks etc, just to recreate a federation facility..........

Please for christmas, show me a fight scene between a gang of jem'hadar and a member of species 8472............
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

...........or maybe they had other simulators.....................
No evidence, ergo we can assume they do not exist.
..........or maybe there was only enough information retrieved from voyagers' databanks etc, just to recreate a federation facility..........
What's to stop them capturing the vessels of other races? It's what I'd do.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

No evidence, ergo we can neither assume or dismiss they exist.......if we thought along the lines of: no evidence, ergo something does not exist; that could prove messy with some of our assumptions about trek....

Species 8742 may or may not be capturing vessels and their crew, even if they did, they might not have similar information in their databanks regarding their own allegiance or empire, as voyager does, pertaining to the federation..........
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

1) Yes, there are other races. The Delta Quadrant dosen't belong solely to the Borg.
2) I have already show that that dialog can be interpreted in multiple ways. Taking into acount the lack of attacks on other races, my interpretation seems more likely.
1) There are other races in the Delta quadrant but not in Borg space which is where we saw most of the action.

2) Purging the weak is hard to misinterprat.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Granite wrote:No evidence, ergo we can neither assume or dismiss they exist.......if we thought along the lines of: no evidence, ergo something does not exist; that could prove messy with some of our assumptions about trek....
Not really, as many of our assumptions are backed up with canon evidence and comon sense.
Species 8742 may or may not be capturing vessels and their crew, even if they did, they might not have similar information in their databanks regarding their own allegiance or empire, as voyager does, pertaining to the federation..........
Or, they could simply have no interest in war with other races. That is the simplest explaination.
Teaos wrote:1) There are other races in the Delta quadrant but not in Borg space which is where we saw most of the action.
And yet, despite being able to open wormholes wherever they please, they never once attacked another race.
2) Purging the weak is hard to misinterprat.
I know. Particularly once you take into acount the context in which it was said.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

erm, rather than use common sense or rule of thumb i.e. Heuristics as its known in Logic. Why don't we use logic.

Modus Ponens or Affirming the Antecedent:
If P, then Q
P.
Therefore Q

Modus Tollens:
If P, then Q
Q is false
therefore P is false

Affirming the Consequent:
If P then Q
Q.
Therefore P

Denying the Antecedent:
If P, then Q
Not P
Therefore not Q

You're saying regarding any other species 8742 simulators,'no evidence, therefore we can assume they don't exist'
So P the Antecedent is 'Evidence' and Q the Consequent is 'Existance of the other simulators'
So you're saying that if the Antecedent is not there, ie not P, then therefore not the Consequent ie not Q, so you're denying the Antecedent.
Is that right?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We need an emoteicon with a head exploding... I feel that would fit me well after reading that post. But for now this will do.

:phaser:

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

lol Teaos, you're officially Morale Officer!
Rochey, sssssh :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Granite, I have no idea what that was about. :?

Anyway, I am not insisting that anything without evidence be thrown out. I am merely saying that if we someone claims AB, yet we only observe A. we have no reason to assume B even exists. Let alone AB.