Why did they wait?

Deep Space Nine
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Why did they wait?

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Amen. :bangwall:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:
Coalition wrote:snip
Why would you have to rebuild a whole ship after one use??? The Intrepid class can land and all you need is a ramp on the back of the ship for vehicles to travel down. That or just attach a container with the vehicles in them to the bottom of the ship. Ship lands, drops containers, deploys personnel and then you good to go.
The Life support would likely be overloaded by the number of people on board, needing the overhaul. Wasn't sure if the ramp was part of the Intrepid, or had to be added. I'd also want a cargo transporter so replacement Argos can be beamed in to the grounded Intrepids.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

It would have to be added.
ImageImage
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Coalition wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:
Coalition wrote:snip
Why would you have to rebuild a whole ship after one use??? The Intrepid class can land and all you need is a ramp on the back of the ship for vehicles to travel down. That or just attach a container with the vehicles in them to the bottom of the ship. Ship lands, drops containers, deploys personnel and then you good to go.
The Life support would likely be overloaded by the number of people on board, needing the overhaul. Wasn't sure if the ramp was part of the Intrepid, or had to be added. I'd also want a cargo transporter so replacement Argos can be beamed in to the grounded Intrepids.
Again, why would you have to add life support to a ship that already has it? They blow out whole sections of the hull and replace the lost atmo in seconds without concern.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I always wondered, when they replaced the atmo did they just use are from the rest of the ship or is there a tank?
ImageImage
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Deepcrush wrote:Again, why would you have to add life support to a ship that already has it? They blow out whole sections of the hull and replace the lost atmo in seconds without concern.
The ship's life support normally only handles the regular crew, plus some emergency capacity. Adding extra troops means more people needing to breathe, use the bathroom, eat, etc. before they get to the planet. Since it isn't an emergency, I'd want more reliable life-support capacity than 'emergency'. It could be in the form of compressed air brought by the troops, Starfleet brand port-a-pottys, meal packs or similar for short-duration stays, to dedicated equipment and maintenance personnel if the ground troops are going to be staying on board a long time.

If a ship only handles 200 people normally, and you pack in ~1000 troops, the ship's life support is going to be stressed. You can either bring along extra life support, hope the ship's life support lasts, or expect casualties as the troops fight each other and non-engineering personnel for the last pockets of oxygen on the ship, until the number of crew has been reduced sufficiently.

Unless you are referring to battle damage, where they replace the oxygen from onboard storage tanks. That might work for a short period of time, as people only need a quarter ton of oxygen per year, but you also need CO2 scrubbing. Since there are the same number (or less) people on board after a battle, the life support system is not that strained. When you add more people, the life support system has to either do more work, or have less people contributing to the strain.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

alexmann wrote:I always wondered, when they replaced the atmo did they just use are from the rest of the ship or is there a tank?
My guess (and that is all that is is) would be that some form of replicators mass produce oxygen and other air molecules rapidly.

And on troop abilities, we've seen Voyager handle hundreds more on many occasions, whether hey be refugees or guests. And never was the life support system an issue. I would think (based on issues seen in Trek) that fuel for the replicators/food storage would be the real problem.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Fuel and food were about the only things that they ever ran out of.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

If ENT can make boots out of shit, I don't think a couple of air scrubbers are going to be a problem.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Just get a few brushes and a robotic arm.
ImageImage
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm still waiting for Coalition to prove they can't do what we've seen them do for the last 30 years...
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

Deepcrush wrote:I'm still waiting for Coalition to prove they can't do what we've seen them do for the last 30 years...
What exactly?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

It is logical that too many people on board may overload the life support system and i like the idea ("captain we can't afford to evacuate all that peolple, life support would be overloaded) but AFAIK we have never seen that. We have seen life support failing for many reasons like computer troubles, battle damage, etc but never because there are too many people breathing.

That said, would be space the only limit to the number of people that a ship can carry?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Replicators need a stock of some sort, so that would be a limiting factor as well.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thing is we've heard of not enough food, not enough room (because in TNG they only have guest quarter for couples even though I could fit two fully kitted squads in them) but never have I heard "we don't have enough air for them."

So until then, its not a factor to transportation.