Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

The Original Series
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:They can? :shock:
Jesus, never would have guessed that.
Seawolf was designed to carry fifty weapons (so close) in her magazine and the newly refitted Ohio SSGN's can carry 154 Tomahawks plus there normal loadout of torpedos. So whatever space SF is dedicating to a PT magazine, it isn't very large.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, pretty pathetic when you put it like that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:I find that to be one of the most annoying things about the E-D. Yeah, I have a whole list of complaints about the ship, but just storing 250 torps is excesively stupid.
I suppose the only real explanation could be that Starfleet is primarily exploratory, i.e., they aren't expecting major conflicts (and thus aren't prepared for them! :D).

So, what about 10,000 per PT/QT launcher? :D
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Given that Starfleet is the UFP's first line of defence and only military force, it would be highly stupid of them to just ignore military concerns. Particularly when they're surrounded on all sides by hostile and expansionist powers. Hell, just look at the amount of wars the UFP's been in.

Of course, it's quite possible they did do it for just that reason. We do have Picard's quote about tactics not being thought to captains, and he's commander of the UFP flagship and the most powerful ship in Starfleet.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

One thing to bear in mind is that 250 is how many torpedoes the ship had aboard in Conundrum. We have no idea if that is their maximum capacity. Any military types around here know if modern Naval vessels always sail with their magazines full, or do they sometimes go out with only partial armament?

Also, it may be a matter of torpedo casings vs probe casings. Perhaps the GCS's normal peacetime fit is 250 photons and 1,750 probes?

On the other hand, when Voyager went on her first mission she was going into disputed territory against a known hostile force, and she only had 38 photons. I'd expect that to be either her maximum complement or close to it given the mission. And if Voyager is that limited, 250 would certainly be a reasonable figure for a Galaxy.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the idea that the UFP is suffering from a shortage of anit-matter fits this nicely. They're using so much to power their ships, that they can't build many torpedoes.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Don't they use the same tanks to supply ships and torps?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:One thing to bear in mind is that 250 is how many torpedoes the ship had aboard in Conundrum. We have no idea if that is their maximum capacity. Any military types around here know if modern Naval vessels always sail with their magazines full, or do they sometimes go out with only partial armament?
Again, that depends. Most Western naval SAM's are actually dual-purpose so there isn't a driving need to carry a crap load of SSM's. But most US vessels carry a full loadout, yes.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Don't they use the same tanks to supply ships and torps?
One would think so, but I don't recall hearing any canon on the matter one way or the other.
GrahamKennedy wrote:whateverthehellium
I take a new multi-vitamin with 120% RDA of whateverthehellium. I've never felt better.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:I take a new multi-vitamin with 120% RDA of whateverthehellium. I've never felt better.
It's good for what ails you. :)
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mikey wrote:
I take a new multi-vitamin with 120% RDA of whateverthehellium. I've never felt better.
I just eat straight cheese. 8)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

You know, I was just looking at the name of the thread, and it hit me. It fired the imagination. Something about a ship built of odd geometrical shapes with old FX just sparked my imagination. And in TMP when we saw her refit for the first time, she looked, for lack of a better term, proud. Sounds dumb I know, but it just hit me and I wanted to share that before it drifted away in a puff of smoke from my ears.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't they use the same tanks to supply ships and torps?
Possibly. I can't imagine SF would be stupid enough to ship them out loaded full of highly volatile materials.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Mark wrote:You know, I was just looking at the name of the thread, and it hit me. It fired the imagination. Something about a ship built of odd geometrical shapes with old FX just sparked my imagination. And in TMP when we saw her refit for the first time, she looked, for lack of a better term, proud. Sounds dumb I know, but it just hit me and I wanted to share that before it drifted away in a puff of smoke from my ears.
No, you're right. Someone (GK, I believe) mentioned that one of the great things about the E-nil design was how different it was from any pre-existing sci-fi spaceship. It wasn't just a "flying saucer," or a Flash Gordon phallic symbol.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, it was probably the first design that made people sit up and go "hey, that looks pretty cool".