Akira Class

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

No we couldn't, because they travel at distinctly sublight speeds in every other sublight encounter they're used in. Therefore Soran must have modified the torps he used.
Wouldn't it be fun.
He didn't have to modify it we allredy know that probe casings can achive warp speeds.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

mlsnoopy wrote:Wouldn't it be fun.
He didn't have to modify it we allredy know that probe casings can achive warp speeds.
Evidence? We've never seen torpedoes jump to warp from a sublight start.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:
mlsnoopy wrote:Wouldn't it be fun.
Evidence? We've never seen torpedoes jump to warp from a sublight start.
They can maintain warp velocities. Unless you're suggesting that torpedoes can only go warp speed because of momentum, which doesn't sound very reasonable IMHO.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:They can maintain warp velocities. Unless you're suggesting that torpedoes can only go warp speed because of momentum, which doesn't sound very reasonable IMHO.
Applying the laws of physics to warp-speed events is an iffy business, but the fact that we've never seen torpedoes achieve warp from a standing start suggests that they're incapable of doing so. The TNG TM, though non-canon, backs this up, stating that if launched at impulse the torpedo "will not cross the threshold into warp" (TNG TM, pg 128).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:They can maintain warp velocities. Unless you're suggesting that torpedoes can only go warp speed because of momentum, which doesn't sound very reasonable IMHO.
Applying the laws of physics to warp-speed events is an iffy business, but the fact that we've never seen torpedoes achieve warp from a standing start suggests that they're incapable of doing so. The TNG TM, though non-canon, backs this up, stating that if launched at impulse the torpedo "will not cross the threshold into warp" (TNG TM, pg 128).
It also said that PT's had a range of 3,500,000 km while in Voyager claimed on-screen that it was 10,000,000 km so I'm not sure you want to be quoting an outdated non-canon book.

How can a torpedo maintain warp velocity if it can't break the warp speed barrier?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:It also said that PT's had a range of 3,500,000 km while in Voyager claimed on-screen that it was 10,000,000 km so I'm not sure you want to be quoting an outdated non-canon book.
Note that I mentioned that as additional evidence because it depicts the intentions of the production staff at the time, and gives hard black-and-white agreement with what we see on-screen.
How can a torpedo maintain warp velocity if it can't break the warp speed barrier?
Because it takes a lot less power to maintain a given speed than to achieve that speed - warp drive in non-Newtonian, so it requires constant power to maintain speed.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

mlsnoopy wrote:
Yes but if they have never proven that on screen than it is higly posible that they lack the capability. The torpedo in generations how long did it need to reach the sun. I belive that it was less then a minute.
I know that, my point was that if we can do it now than there is no excuse for SF. If they can't do it, that indicates stupidity, lost tech or some other issue that we're not aware of.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Some kind of sustainer that pirates the warp field from the launching ship is what comes to mind.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:It also said that PT's had a range of 3,500,000 km while in Voyager claimed on-screen that it was 10,000,000 km so I'm not sure you want to be quoting an outdated non-canon book.
Note that I mentioned that as additional evidence because it depicts the intentions of the production staff at the time, and gives hard black-and-white agreement with what we see on-screen.
Because it takes a lot less power to maintain a given speed than to achieve that speed - warp drive in non-Newtonian, so it requires constant power to maintain speed.
But it still needs to create it's own warp 'bubble'(I think that's what it's called) when it leaves the ship's bubble or at best it would drop to sublight speed or at worst be destroyed. As we've seen a warp core be ejected at warp and survive I'm guessing the former is more likely.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:But it still needs to create it's own warp 'bubble'(I think that's what it's called) when it leaves the ship's bubble or at best it would drop to sublight speed or at worst be destroyed. As we've seen a warp core be ejected at warp and survive I'm guessing the former is more likely.
It needs to be able to suststain any warp field it picks up from the lauching ship, but this does not in any way imply that it is capable of accelerating from sublight to warp on its own.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

True. It takes a heck of lot more to accelerate to warp than to stay at warp.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I have to agree. No matter if the range of a PT is 3.5 million Km or 10 million Km. They do not have a warp core of their own so they can not go to warp. We have seen them fired while a ship was a warp and then the PT maintained warp until it reached its target. Also, if we see a PT traveling at warp speed then these ranges mean nothing. They would easily pass these figures after just a few seconds of travel.

Does anyone know what kind of targeting PTs have? We've seen them track a single target, home in on a cloaked ship plasma trail, used to knock out another PT, and even to tranport someone over a long distance in secret. Can they be used as 'fire and forget'? Can they retask once in flight?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Torpedos are fire and forget weapons.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

mlsnoopy wrote:Torpedos are fire and forget weapons.
The evidence for that is patchy - the only torp we've seen that was definately fire-and-forget was the specially modified ST6 torpedo. There's also the question of how powerful a torpedo's on-board sensors are. Since they're far smaller and theefore less powerful than a starship's, they're much more likely to be defeated by powerful ECM, and therefore probably rely on external control in the fleet actions we witness.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm sorry I can't remember where it was, but I'm almost positive we've seen (or heard about) torps being controlled from ship after being fired.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer