What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:I think what you said about paying for lawyer is spot on with my parents line of thinking, especially my Dad. I think he wants my brother to get his act together, but with these legal troubles he is in now, he needs help. I do not doubt that if he beats these charges against him, that my Dad will come down on him like a ton of bricks.
That's the thing - "tough love" can be a useful concept, but it falls down when one is watching his child suffer. Especially in a case like this, when your brother can't get his act together until he's out of his legal situation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The problem is that my brother will probably never get his act together even if these legal troubles are settled. Maybe prison will fix it for him.

But really it isn't about my brother it is the environment of his daughter will grow up in. She'll be lucky if she grows up normal.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:...Maybe prison will fix it for him.
Prison isn't about fixing people.
McAvoy wrote:But really it isn't about my brother it is the environment of his daughter will grow up in. She'll be lucky if she grows up normal.
That's the most important thing right there. Make sure the kid at least has a chance. Your parents should be spending the attorney fees to hire someone to look into gaining custody of your niece.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I meant prison as in the environment, not the system.

You are correct. The way it was described to me, I think part of the $5,000 spent on the lawyer is to gain custody of the baby. The big question is other grandparents as well. I only met them at the wedding and they seem to be decent people.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:I meant prison as in the environment, not the system.
I meant both. The environment in prison is not conducive to rehabilitation. This is a product of the current system.

We have what, a 70% rate of recidivism?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think he meant an environment of structure and consequence, not specifically a prison environment. The failure of our prison system to rehabilitate is due to all the stuff that goes on despite the intent of the system, not to the concept of prison.

Too bad he never took up the idea of going from reserve to active. E-6 ain't too shabby, and this guy sounds like he could have used that climate.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Good god, when it rains it storms. My divorce papers were served to me, while trying to deal with my mom's trouble in my spare time, and my department so short, I've had no time for anything.

The fuckers held a hearing without me (i was never notified), and now I've got to contest it too.

To quote a wise man, "I picked a hell of a day to quit drinkin'"
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeesh, Mark! Never notified? Is that... legal?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Is that... legal?
I don't believe so, no. But, without spending a fortune on a lawyer, good luck getting a court to care.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm honestly at the "fuck it" point right now. I can't seem to make myself care....and that scares me.

No lawyer will talk to me without a $1500 retainer.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Is that... legal?
I don't believe so, no. But, without spending a fortune on a lawyer, good luck getting a court to care.
It is quite possible that the notification was lost somewhere along the way. It may have been filed somewhere to be sent, but the person in charge of sending things may have lost or never seen it. (It may not be what happened, but it is a possibility)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mark wrote:I'm honestly at the "f**k it" point right now. I can't seem to make myself care....and that scares me.

No lawyer will talk to me without a $1500 retainer.
Report it for public council or speak to a Family Affairs Judge where you don't need a lawyer. That would be your best bet for something like this.

Or if you've just decided to wash your hands of it, time for some food and milkshakes.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Well, I'm currently watching Star Trek the Final Frontier on syfy channel. This is probably a bad idea right before bed. I almost can't take it seriously.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wait... that implies you took it somewhat seriously. ;)

Agh, the end of tomorrow cannot come fast enough!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

7 and a half hours working on my computer today. Not fun.