Are the Romulans weak?

Deep Space Nine
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Are the Romulans weak?

Post by Reliant121 »

Didn't really take that much of a beating (that we saw).
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Of course not, the Promethues's weapons were plot-powered.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Of course maybe their shields were down when they were attempting to transport aboard???
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It was also several minutes into a battle verses an Akira and two Defiants... so I'd expect the D'D to be weakened.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

the prometheus is massively over powered for how it's designed, even if each section has its own warp core it still doesn't account for the amount of damage that it inflicts. :|
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

lcpl seilicki wrote:the prometheus is massively over powered for how it's designed, even if each section has its own warp core it still doesn't account for the amount of damage that it inflicts. :|
The Prommy is a wank ship... sad to say though its a Canon wank ship.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think GK's write-up on the main site helps with that a bit; the type 12 phasers from the Sovereign, coupled with experimental power systems and shields (plus the ablative armor).

Though, after watching the episode again earlier tonight... It pasted an uprated Nebula with ease. The D'D isn't even a one on one match for a Nebula; with two Defiants, an Akira, and the Prometheus, even three of them were seriously outmatched. I doubt three GCS would have done any better against that force.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The major problem is that ships in Trek go up and down in ability according to plot so today those ships were nothing but tomorrow they could hold off an enemy task force on their own with little trouble.

Thats one of the nice things about Babylon 5 over Trek. It was easy to know who could take who and it never changed.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I definitely agree.

I also agree that the Prometheus is a wank ship too. Just something 'kool' to boost ratings. I honestly think they could have done just as well with a new Sovereign.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Problem is explaining how the Romulans got that far inside of UFP space and managed to over power the crew and then get past all of the failsafes and defenses on the way out then somehow take out a Nebula Class ship in a single shot. If that were the case the Romulans would have needed a fleet of ships just to engage the Prommy, let alone take her over.

The ship could have been any ship, even a lame old duck which would be far easier to believe. A science ship testing out a new EMH program and the Romulans wanted it just to find out what the ship was doing.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

Deepcrush wrote:Problem is explaining how the Romulans got that far inside of UFP space and managed to over power the crew and then get past all of the failsafes and defenses on the way out then somehow take out a Nebula Class ship in a single shot. If that were the case the Romulans would have needed a fleet of ships just to engage the Prommy, let alone take her over.

Not really all it would take is a stolen shuttlecraft
equipped with a cloaking device. As soon as the prommy got close the romulans beam onto the bridge disable everyone there and then vent the entire ship (minus the bridge) of atmosphere. Ship captured. Hell you just have to use SF against itself
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I remember there was four or five personnel on board the Prometheus. So as far as that is concerned, it's not that bad.

I like your idea better Deepcrush. Maybe some random Starfleet ship on verge of transiting the Neutral Zone with Romulan ships on one side and Starfleet ships on the other.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I could see the likes of a Norway class or if you wanted something big a Nebula. Not very fast, and getting a bit long in the tooth.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

lcpl seilicki wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Problem is explaining how the Romulans got that far inside of UFP space and managed to over power the crew and then get past all of the failsafes and defenses on the way out then somehow take out a Nebula Class ship in a single shot. If that were the case the Romulans would have needed a fleet of ships just to engage the Prommy, let alone take her over.

Not really all it would take is a stolen shuttlecraft
equipped with a cloaking device. As soon as the prommy got close the romulans beam onto the bridge disable everyone there and then vent the entire ship (minus the bridge) of atmosphere. Ship captured. Hell you just have to use SF against itself
True enough, SF security is about as useful as the french army. Still, just one person should have been able to lock out the system.
lcpl seilicki
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by lcpl seilicki »

Hell you could replace SF security with the US Coast Gaurd and it would be improved 900%. As it stands right now you could give me a squad of half trained squids ( navy personal for those that don't know) and I could take the bridge of any SF ship in less than a minute, and if I had half way decent intell less than 30 seconds. SF has lost the warrior culture that every person in uniform should live up to