Excelsior Class Discussion

The Original Series
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Excelsior Class Discussion

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:...Yet another misquote. I never said that they had one, I said they had the option to have one...
And, he's already said he misunderstood you. We all get that you were suggesting that the Connie could fit another M/AM reactor in the saucer. I actually agree with you that they probably could. What, exactly, is your issue here?

*snip Deepcrush quotes*

Fine, I guess I will bow out since I don't have money to buy frivolous shit like Trek DVDs; I'd like someone who does have them to point out to you that fusion reactors were used on Fed ships through the 24th century.

Anyone else feel like picking up this particular argument?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:...Yet another misquote. I never said that they had one, I said they had the option to have one...
And, he's already said he misunderstood you. We all get that you were suggesting that the Connie could fit another M/AM reactor in the saucer. I actually agree with you that they probably could. What, exactly, is your issue here?

*snip Deepcrush quotes*

Fine, I guess I will bow out since I don't have money to buy frivolous s**t like Trek DVDs; I'd like someone who does have them to point out to you that fusion reactors were used on Fed ships through the 24th century.

Anyone else feel like picking up this particular argument?
I like how my picture was nicely ignored, I guess I might as well not chime in. So no. Neither side will listen.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

me,myself and I wrote:I like how my picture was nicely ignored, I guess I might as well not chime in.
I didn't ignore it. The warp core of the Miranda is in the rear integrated engineering section. I do agree with Deep that the Connie has the room for an extra one. There's no evidence of one, but it could probably fit.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

me,myself and I wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Only thing I have to say is that the warp core in the Reliant is in the integrated engineering hull, not in the saucer. Therefore there is no suggestive evidence that the saucer of the Connie could hold a WC.
If this is what you had to say then you shouldn't have said anything. The Reliant doesn't have a integrated engine hull. There is the saucer, weapons pod and warp necelles. Thats it. There for the WC is in the saucer and there for is PURE EVIDENCE that the saucer can hold a WC.
For accuracies sake, it had a half saucer. And that boxy bit that other trek ships down't have, judging by positioning and style and such = integrated engineering hull. Half Saucer + Integrated Engineering Hull = Miranda Class
Ok, that makes a little sense that they'd have added some space for a larger core.
I like how my picture was nicely ignored, I guess I might as well not chime in. So no. Neither side will listen.
Sorry about that but you're right, that extra space would most likly be used for support around the WC. But that also retracts from the space open for other things.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Deepcrush wrote:TOS UFP ships use plasma drives (TOS,STVI)
What the hell is a plasma drive? A fusion rocket would produce plasma.
and have we've even had Scotty remark about how weak fusion reactors are next to what SF uses(TOS)...
You mean the remark in BoT? He never explicitly mentioned fusion, but he said that the Romulan ship's power was "simple impulse". The most plausible interpretation being that the Romulans had a power generator which was equivalent to a Federation impulse drive (which is pretty universally assumed to be fusion).
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The "plasma drive" would be the combined system of impulse engines and fusion reactors.
Plasma would simply be one of the byproducts of the fusion process.

Besides, drive refers to propulsion, not power source.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Deepcrush wrote:This was a misquote inside of your own statement.
Really?
This was the original quote you gave me went you noted my mistake:
Deepcrush wrote:Since most of those kids didn't even look old enough to shave I wouldn't put most of them over 18.
Was that not correct?
Another mis use of one of my statements since I never said anything about any 14 year old boys on board
I know you didn't.
I first told you, in response to your statement that "most of those kids didn't even look old enough to shave I wouldn't put most of them over 18", that there wasn't much difference between kids 18 years old or 21 years old.
You then responded that there was, because you had a growth spurt between 18 and 21 of 3 inches.
I then said that using yourself as an example wasn't valid, because you weren't an average-sized man.
I then posted this information to show you what an average teen goes through, showing you that most people won't display much difference between 18 and 21 years old.

All this came about because I said that I doubted very much that they were in their first year at Starfleet academy, to which you replied with your 18 years old statement.
Yet another spin. I didn't basically imply anything. The point is that on a training ship there will be more cadets then instructors.
Was it not you who wrote:
Whats so hard for you? Experienced command, not experienced crew. If there are 5 trained crew and 450 none trained crew.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but to me this sentence seemed to mean that you thought the entire crew was filled with Cadets.
Its his f***ing nephew dumbass... go figure...
So?
If indeed only the senior officers of each departments are there, then why would his nephew be there?
Unless he's also a Command Cadet in engineering?
Can anyone with navy experience confirm that when the Captain comes in, only the senior officers of each department will be there?
I guess you've seen a SF holodeck in TOS the size of a running starship? Or maybe they've gone through basic training but still need help with the ship which would explain WHY THEY HAVE INSTRUCTORS THERE.
Flight simulators are rarely the size of an actual airplane, but they simulate (hence the word "simulator") that actual bahavior of the plane.
We know they had a full bridge simulator (the Kobayashi Maru test), so it's not hard to imagine they have engineering simulators as well.
And of course they'll have instructors on board, just as you'll have instructors on board planes to ensure that what the Cadet has learned in the simulators is properly applied in real situations.
I never said that they had one, I said they had the option to have one.
Yes, you did indeed only say that they had the possibility.
Sorry about that, it was my mistake.
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Deepcrush wrote:As to the plasma drives, Spock reports to Kirk in STVI that just like the E-A, the Klingon BoP runs off of plasma which is what they used to track with the PT they later fired.
Actually, Spock says that even under cloak, she "emits" plasma from her Impulse Drive, and this is how they're able to track her, by modifying a torpedo to home in on that "ionized gas".
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

With regards to the presence of fusion reactors, the SDN database has a good selection of quotes regarding their existance.
I'm not getting involved in the debate, just though I'd point you lot at somewhere you might find evidence.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:With regards to the presence of fusion reactors, the SDN database has a good selection of quotes regarding their existance.
I'm not getting involved in the debate, just though I'd point you lot at somewhere you might find evidence.
Well, there you go.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Thank you Rochey.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Again no evidence that they used them in TOS. All the quotes are from TNG, DS9 and Voy.

Either...
Scotty was lying and/or wrong or...
The fusion tech of the 23rd isn't cost effective where the fusion tech of the 24th is.

Edit!

Thanks Rochey. (I typed ochey the first time... hehehehe!)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Ok, ships in ENT used fusion reactors for secondary power.
Ships in TNG+ used fusion reactors for secondary power.
So it is logical that Ships in TOS would also use fusion reactors for secondary power.

With what your saying, I could validly argue that the U.S.S. Excelsior never had a CMO simply because he/she was never seen or mentioned.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Sounds good. Take your time. All the needed points have been made anyhow.

*watch
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:doh: