Spacedock

The Original Series
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's best not to ask. Some things, man was not meant to know.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Let's get really techno-dork for a second. How much atmosphere are we talking about being able to pressurize? It would seem like the amount of air it would take to fill that whole big spacedock (nevermind the super-spacedocks we see that can fit the Galaxy) would be an astronomical consumption of energy as well as damned inefficient (it all bleeds out into space every time the door opens?)

The options could be:
Pressurize it all and refill when ships come and go.
Place a forcefield between the ships/spacedock that could keep the other pressure in.
Pressurize within forcefields only where needed.

But how much air are we talking about? Anyone with math wanna make a guess at this Fermi problem?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Bryan Moore wrote:Let's get really techno-dork for a second. How much atmosphere are we talking about being able to pressurize? It would seem like the amount of air it would take to fill that whole big spacedock (nevermind the super-spacedocks we see that can fit the Galaxy) would be an astronomical consumption of energy as well as damned inefficient (it all bleeds out into space every time the door opens?)

The options could be:
Pressurize it all and refill when ships come and go.
Place a forcefield between the ships/spacedock that could keep the other pressure in.
Pressurize within forcefields only where needed.

But how much air are we talking about? Anyone with math wanna make a guess at this Fermi problem?
well, we say in Voyager that the forcefields can easily open just enough to form-fit the launching craft. It's quite reasonable to assume the Spacedock would have one of these. Although we can assume that it wasn't part of the original design seeing as it wasn't in use in STIII. It would be a logical addition.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The biggest problem I can see with the theory isn't containing the atmosphere - they could do that with a brig or shuttlebay-style forcefield over the main doors, but the effect of the atmosphere itself. I don't want to think of the sort of pressure wave a Connie at 1/4 impulse would cause.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:The biggest problem I can see with the theory isn't containing the atmosphere - they could do that with a brig or shuttlebay-style forcefield over the main doors, but the effect of the atmosphere itself. I don't want to think of the sort of pressure wave a Connie at 1/4 impulse would cause.
I'd think they have a speed limit in Spacedock. thrusters only I believe is the rule.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I'd think they have a speed limit in Spacedock. thrusters only I believe is the rule.
A speed limit Jim Kirk at least has a habit of ignoring - see ST6 for example. There was also the case in ST3 in which both the E-nil and the Excelsior went to 1/4 impulse. With Kirk it's understandable - he's never been a stickler for the rules and he was tealing a starship. Styles on the othr hand, does seem to be a stickler for the rules.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, they'd probably have to have both a limit AND a precaution for all personnel, craft, and movable structures to be clear before ANY ship movement is allowed.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

(it all bleeds out into space every time the door opens?)
I would imagin a forcefield pops up to stop that. Like the one that poped up to stop the hull breach in Generations when Kirk got sucked away.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote: I would imagin a forcefield pops up to stop that. Like the one that poped up to stop the hull breach in Generations when Kirk got sucked away.
We never saw that in TOS until then though. The Big E's shuttle bay had to depressurise and they had emergency bulkheads.

You'd think the stream of crap out of the impulse engine would be dangerous in dock though.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

What exactly is impulse exhaust? If it's plasma, which most things seem to be in 'Trek ( :roll: ,) then it should be a fairly simple matter for 'Trek tech to de-ionize it/filter it.
as Bull offed Custer
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

What is the largest thing moved by Starfleet warp engines?

What is the largest thing moved by Starfleet tractor beams?

Can something be tractored while at warp?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

To my knowledge the largest thing moved my warp is the GCS. The biggest thing tractored is probably a commet. I doubt you could do it while at warp.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In the episode with the "Picard manuver", Riker used a tractor beam to catch the Stargazer as it came out of warp, but I don't remember any instance of tractor use at warp speed. I may be forgetting something, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

We have heard of disabled starships being towed to a starbase; this would have to be done at warp if you intend to arrive within the decade.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:We have heard of disabled starships being towed to a starbase; this would have to be done at warp if you intend to arrive within the decade.
Good thinking, CPH. Even if we haven't seen it on-screen, all reasonable logic says they must have warp-towing capability.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939