Akira Class

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

While they may not have lock-ons, it doesn't mean they have to be dumbfire. They can be computer guided, although the enemy may jam communications. The can also be pre-programmed with attack patterns that will be harder to dodge and/or predict. Not as effective as guided missles, but it's better then just dumbfire.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

The Fed fleet halted only a few dozen kilometres from the Dominion wall
The range at wich the fleets stpoed is not shown.
I do not see how power requirements would have anything to do with it. If you are only firing one or two at a time, what does it matter if you are equiped with 5 arrays, or 50? The more arrays would just give you better firing angles, not use "more" power.

You have to have power to all of them, it takes time to charge the weapons. You are preposing that they would shut down the main weapons so that you would power a small strip to fire on a small target wich at the time you prepere your weapon would move out of the line of fire and than you would have the dsame problem.
Getting a few Akiras together, and spamming an enemy fleet with torps from long range would seriously screw up the fleet. In numbers, it'd be difficult for them to maneuver without ramming another ship, and the sheer amount of torps and targets would pretty much guarantee to cause chaos.

Almost any new SF ship could be used in such way.
Wow, those Mirandas were useless except as fodder

They created new ships for the movie why not use them. Stupid producers.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Jim wrote:Wouldn't a ship be nimble enough to easily evade a PT fired at long range?
Given the number of times we hear of torpedoes needing to "lock on", it's likely that they're quite manoeuverable themselves, and hence it wouldn't be a simple case of doging the weapon. What's more likely is that Trek ships ECM is a lot better than their ECCM, and so they need to get in close to burn through said ECM to accquire a torpedo lock.
In Babylon 5 the ships shot at incoming fire and destroyed it on it's way. Can a ship in Star Trek fire on a PT/QT and destroy it on it's way in?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Jim wrote:
In Babylon 5 the ships shot at incoming fire and destroyed it on it's way. Can a ship in Star Trek fire on a PT/QT and destroy it on it's way in?
Usually not, I think we've seen it in a handful of incidents.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Have we ever actualy seen that at all? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

I only know of one incident where a torpedo was shot down. In one of Voyegers episodes the doctor shot down a torpedo that he fired, are there any incidents where enemy fire was shoot down.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I don't remember seeing it but they did mention the difficulty of shooting down that sun destroying weapon in generations. They said it would take too long to lock-on without knowing where the missle would come from. It might have been easier to lock on had they known the location it was launching from. But I doubt it would be any easier to do in the middle of a fight, when the enemy is constantly changing position and you don't know when they'll fire torpedoes.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I don't remember seeing it but they did mention the difficulty of shooting down that sun destroying weapon in generations. They said it would take too long to lock-on without knowing where the missle would come from. It might have been easier to lock on had they known the location it was launching from. But I doubt it would be any easier to do in the middle of a fight, when the enemy is constantly changing position and you don't know when they'll fire torpedoes.
We can do this now. In space ranges are longer but that gives fire control longer to predict where they need to fire to intercept the weapon.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hell, the USN just shot down a failing satellite. Much to China's dismay, I might add...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

What's even more pathetic is that the US could do ABM in the 60's.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Great, I come back and now its off topic. Just my luck. :x
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

We can do this now.
Yes but if they have never proven that on screen than it is higly posible that they lack the capability. The torpedo in generations how long did it need to reach the sun. I belive that it was less then a minute.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A lot less. From the Generations script:
WORF
Sir, according to my calculations,
a solar probe launched from either
the Klingon ship or the planet's
surface will take eleven seconds
to reach the star.
(beat)
However, since we do not know the
exact point of origin, it will
take us between eight and fifteen
seconds to lock our weapons onto
it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Captain Seafort wrote:A lot less. From the Generations script:
WORF
Sir, according to my calculations,
a solar probe launched from either
the Klingon ship or the planet's
surface will take eleven seconds
to reach the star.
(beat)
However, since we do not know the
exact point of origin, it will
take us between eight and fifteen
seconds to lock our weapons onto
it.
Its a solar probe, why couldn't they say torpedo. If the planet had the same orbit as Earth, it would be greate becuse we could argue that torpedos travel at light speed.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

mlsnoopy wrote:Its a solar probe, why couldn't they say torpedo. If the planet had the same orbit as Earth, it would be greate becuse we could argue that torpedos travel at light speed.
No we couldn't, because they travel at distinctly sublight speeds in every other sublight encounter they're used in. Therefore Soran must have modified the torps he used.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.