TR-116

Deep Space Nine
Les
Petty officer third class

Post by Les »

Speaking of 'making interesting things appear where your enemy doesn't want them...'

In the TNG episode 'The High Ground' a group of terrorists use something called a 'Dimensional Shift' technology to perform site-to-site transports without interdiction or detection, but this technology does incurable cumulative genetic-damage to living tissue.

What do they do with it? They send Living terrorists out using the device to plant small bombs on their targets, instead of simply sending the bomb itself along without risking any of their own. If a small bomb wouldn't do the job if not planted expertly by a living saboteur, just use a Bigger Bomb. :D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

But that would be logical....
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Les

Post by Les »

And we wouldn't want that, can't go muscling-in on the Vulcan's turf. :wink:
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Les wrote:Speaking of 'making interesting things appear where your enemy doesn't want them...'

In the TNG episode 'The High Ground' a group of terrorists use something called a 'Dimensional Shift' technology to perform site-to-site transports without interdiction or detection, but this technology does incurable cumulative genetic-damage to living tissue.

What do they do with it? They send Living terrorists out using the device to plant small bombs on their targets, instead of simply sending the bomb itself along without risking any of their own. If a small bomb wouldn't do the job if not planted expertly by a living saboteur, just use a Bigger Bomb. :D
Great episode, despite this big of illogical thinking. Oh well, it worked for the plot. I always thought something similar: Why not just open up a dimensional shift right in someone's warp core?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I could be wrong, but didn't the terrorists use some kind of device worn on the upper arm? Maybe the dimensional shift can't track as well as standard transporters, and requires some sort of amplifier or tracer from start to finish.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Or maybe for some stupid reason it needs an organic component.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Les

Post by Les »

I'd always assumed those armband-thingies WERE the dimensional-shift device.
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

Teaos wrote:Or maybe for some stupid reason it needs an organic component.
Like time travel in the Terminator series. :)
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you want a good weapon then you need a maduce, speak no more...
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A what? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

50 caliber machine gun firing 1200 rounds per min with a range of up to two miles. Let the borg eat on that for awhile LMAO :twisted:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Think of a storm bolter with 3 time the rate of fire!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

50 caliber machine gun firing 1200 rounds per min with a range of up to two miles. Let the borg eat on that for awhile LMAO :twisted:
It all becomes clear....and makes sense.
The sad fact is that a borg ground attack could be beaten with WWI era weapons.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:
It all becomes clear....and makes sense.
The sad fact is that a borg ground attack could be beaten with WWI era weapons.
A Borg ground attack, with their zombie-speed and no weapons other than the assimilation tubes could be driven off by anyone with decent KE weapons. The Roman Army for example.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:

Why is it that so many sci-fi writers end up making a joke when they try and make something frightning?