Confirmed: STXI is alternate timeline

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Confirmed: STXI is alternate timeline

Post by LaughingCheese »

Lazar wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:I was just watching the episode about Lazarus and the anti matter universe. Lazarus stole the dilithium crystals for the warp core. :?
The E-nil had dilithium crystals, but it had no warp core in the modern sense. The warp core was created for TMP (and in fact they redressed the TMP engineering set to serve as the TNG engineering set).
Oh. So what did they have? What do you mean?
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

LaughingCheese wrote:Oh. So what did they have? What do you mean?
Well the engineering room contained a dilithium chamber, which was connected to the nacelles somehow, but it didn't have the columnar warp core that we're now familiar with. (The Gilso cutaway puts forth a pretty reasonable idea of how the E-nil was set up.)
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm pretty certain the E-Nill did have a warp core.
Hell, the NX had one.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Of course it had a warp core. Just not one that we are used to. Or it just wasn't shown.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It was probably built into the ship itself, rather than sitting in the middle of an ungaurded room waiting for anyone to waltz up and shoot it with a phaser.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:laughroll:
Yeah, that was one thing that bugged me. Though the force feild in NEM was an improvement.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:It was probably built into the ship itself, rather than sitting in the middle of an ungaurded room waiting for anyone to waltz up and shoot it with a phaser.
Well in defense of the designers they probaably never envisioned a scenario where an enemy would be allowed free access to the plot core.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Well I guess they had a warp core (i.e. a dilithium reaction chamber), but they didn't have the big columny thingy that we're familiar with now.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Kendall wrote:Well in defense of the designers they probaably never envisioned a scenario where an enemy would be allowed free access to the plot core.
Given the presence of transporters and the complete absence of competant security on Fed ships, you think they'd at least put a sheet of metal around it, or something.
Lazar wrote:Well I guess they had a warp core (i.e. a dilithium reaction chamber), but they didn't have the big columny thingy that we're familiar with now.
IIRC, a warp core was specificaly mentioned in one of the movies. Ergo, it is logical to conclude that the ship always had one. Changing the power source to something completely different would require a complete redesign of the ship and probably most of its systems.
The fact that it looked different means nothing. The NX had a warp core that looked nothing like any other era's, but they still had it.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Rochey wrote: IIRC, a warp core was specificaly mentioned in one of the movies. Ergo, it is logical to conclude that the ship always had one. Changing the power source to something completely different would require a complete redesign of the ship and probably most of its systems.
The fact that it looked different means nothing. The NX had a warp core that looked nothing like any other era's, but they still had it.
I believe the NX Core was a supposed to be a smaller version of the glowing, red, roughly triangular thing in the back of the E-Nil Original Engine Room, at least that's the impression I always got. Instead of being large and built behind a wall it was smaller and freestanding.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

stitch626 wrote::laughroll:
Yeah, that was one thing that bugged me. Though the force feild in NEM was an improvement.
Except that it went down with the first shot. Some improvement. :roll:
me,myself and I wrote:
Rochey wrote: IIRC, a warp core was specificaly mentioned in one of the movies. Ergo, it is logical to conclude that the ship always had one. Changing the power source to something completely different would require a complete redesign of the ship and probably most of its systems.
I believe the NX Core was a supposed to be a smaller version of the glowing, red, roughly triangular thing in the back of the E-Nil Original Engine Room, at least that's the impression I always got. Instead of being large and built behind a wall it was smaller and freestanding.
Those look more like the subspace field coils in the nacelles then a warp core. :?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The big thing in the NX's engine room was reffered to as a warp core.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
Given the presence of transporters and the complete absence of competant security on Fed ships, you think they'd at least put a sheet of metal around it, or something.
I'll chalk that up to Procurement not relying proper requirements to the design bureau.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nah, they probably just completely changed the design requirements after some contractor spent millions of dollars and half a year on it. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Nah, they probably just completely changed the design requirements after some contractor spent millions of dollars and half a year on it. :P
And cancelled the contract, paid the penalty and then restarted it.