Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

The Original Series
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Why does everyone love the original TOS Enterprise so much?

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mark wrote:Don't turrets by definition rotate?
Good point...
stitch626 wrote:Its always been labeled as a turret in all of the drawings, but it has not been mentioned specifically as a turret in any movie.
That's why I called it a turret; I must've seen it called that on a drawing a while ago.

But yeah, if it doesn't rotate, why is it called a turret?!

EDIT: Holy cheese, this is my first intro thread to reach EIGHT (8) pages!!! :shock:

I love you guys. :mrgreen:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It may be that the exterior parts we can see don't rotate, but the tube itself does inside the casing. Observe the following picture, stolen shamelessly from earlier in the thread:

Look at the picture, specificaly the black line thing on the front of the pod. That line is where the torps come out of. It's possible that the tube that fires them can rotate within its housing to fire out from any angle allowed by that line, as shown below:

The tube inside may be able to rotate along the red marks.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The problem with that is that that black line thing is a probably a hole. Compare these two consecutive images:

I think it's there to provide a line of sight from the yacht's cockpit, which lines up exactly with the hole when the yacht's docked.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hm, fair point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

So, where exactly IS the yacht?!?!?!?

YARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Actually, I don't think that people realize that Federation starships are built in a modular fashion. On the large scale, we see it in the form of the Primary/Secondary hull configurations (saucer section/stardrive).

On a smaller scale, I believe I recall reading in the TNG tech manual that the bridge is a moduel itself and can be replaced for the mission at hand/upgraded.

I'm guessing the QT pod/turret is also a module, that is, and this is the crucial part, either a QT launcher OR a yacht dock.

Its been a LONG time since I've seen Insurrection, actually I think I may have seen it only once in the theatre, but, if memory serves, I don't think we saw the QT pod fire at all during that movie.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the launcher was established to be there in FC. That would mean they originaly built the ship with the launcher, took it out and replaced it with a yacht, and then put it back in again.
While it's possible, it seems a little unlikely. Surely they could place the captain's yacht somewhere where it didn't require the most powerful weapon on the ship to be removed.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Rochey wrote:I think the launcher was established to be there in FC. That would mean they originaly built the ship with the launcher, took it out and replaced it with a yacht, and then put it back in again.
While it's possible, it seems a little unlikely. Surely they could place the captain's yacht somewhere where it didn't require the most powerful weapon on the ship to be removed.
Agreed.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Of course, these are Trek writers we're talking about to, so...................
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mark wrote:Of course, these are Trek writers we're talking about to, so...................
LOL :mrgreen:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

The sad thing is that it HAS become a joke :roll: :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If only they had moved the QT launcher a bit closer to the saucer, then we wouldn't even be discussing this.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Now that we have blasted off topic(like 4 pages ago), should the title of the thread be changed? :mrgreen:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:Now that we have blasted off topic(like 4 pages ago), should the title of the thread be changed? :mrgreen:
Nope. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

No. Changing the title of a thread every time we changed topic would be insanity... and futile.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

And in clear violation of the TR-116 principle upon which the whole ethos of DITL rests.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.