Ramming speed

Deep Space Nine
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Ramming speed

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Teaos wrote:Yeah I wouldnt be ramming if the weapons could still make things go bang.
Eh, well, in my defense I was just trying to cook up other ways of getting all the momentum you possibly can into the thing. I guess you'd have a situation in which phasers aren't functional (obviously) and you just use them as the vehicle to carry a big power surge (blow them up, basically). Does this make any sense?
So basically...make the aft arrays blow up to push the ship? Is that what you're trying to say? Could work if you're desperate enough, but since you're trying to ram someone you're probably desperate anyway.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yeah, more or less that's it.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Could you jsut maybe blow them up as you're making contact, and use them like a warhead instead of as meager propulsion?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Blow the fore phasers on contact. That could probably do a good bit of damage. Good idea!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Blow the fore phasers on contact. That could probably do a good bit of damage. Good idea!
"At that range we won't last long against those Star Destroyers."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Blow the fore phasers on contact. That could probably do a good bit of damage. Good idea!
Pfft. All you need to do is ram a starfighter into a SD's bridge :P
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Eh? Maybe I'm missing it, but what's that got to do with this?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
Eh? Maybe I'm missing it, but what's that got to do with this?
The idea is to blow up the phasers at point-blank range
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, and what has that got to do with Endor?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Yes, and what has that got to do with Endor?
The engaged the enemy fleet at point-blank range :roll: The keys are the "point blank range" and "we're not going to last very long" parts. It's supposed to be funny
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Yes, and what has that got to do with Endor?
Shi wasn't saying specifically that the reb ships were going to blow their weapons on impact with the Imperial ships - shi was just talking about last-resort efforts and close-in space combat.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, right.

Well, that joke just went right over my head, didn't it? :lol:
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Plus, as was mentioned earlier, blow up any remaining torps on impact (assuming you've lost the ability to fire them). It strikes me that a Borg ship could disable your ship before you've come too close to exhausting your torps; perhaps Worf would have actually done a good bit of damage to the Borg ship if this were the case and he did all of this.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Then why not fly a ship into the Borg Cube and blow the WC! That would solve everything. Or would that just make to much sense?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

This discussion was originally predicated on the idea of the E-E's self destruct being inoperable during the Nemesis ramming scene if you look back; in the case we've forgotten this, blowing the ship would be the best solution if possible. That said, if you could detonate any torps you happen to have left, that certainly would only boost the boom. I may have lost my bearings in this thread with the Worf comment, though given the shape Defiant was in, she may have lost her self-destruct anyway, for all we know.