You're a Captain,you get to pick your starship. Which class?

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: You're a Captain,you get to pick your starship. Which class?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Trek ships routinely undertake procedures that are highly demanding, energy wise. I doubt ramping up the gravity in one small part of the ship is going to overtax the systems.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:Without getting into the effects or the mechanism of the ID's vs. the plating, there is evidence that the two are not actually one single un-isolated system: how many times have we heard "inertial dampers offline" or some such, yet still seen the AG still in operation?
I find it simplest to think of inertial dampers as the overall system creating any type of acceleration, and the gravity plating is the equipment used by this system. I'm not sure how many times we've heard inertial dampers offline - not many times, I think - but I'm sure if inertial dampers can create millions of gs, leaving 1 spare in backup wouldn't be too hard.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

One owuldn't think so. But there it is - even if they work on identical principles - which I agree is likely - they are patently isolated systems.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wait a minute...

The unit for Gravity is Newtons. This is NOT the same as the units for acceleration (Nkg or m/s2).

Edit: Sorry, correction, Newtons is the force due to gravity, not gravity itself. And Nkg is the acceleration due to gravity. But still, gravity =/= acceleration.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

no, they aren't the same but they can be used to simulate eachother.

ie...if your accellerating in a 0g enviroment it will feel to you like there's some force of gravity as the (insert vehicle here) pushes against you.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

So. If you get punched you feel an acceleration. Does that mean the punch is an acceleration? No. It causes an acceleration.

Gravity is not an acceleration in any sense. It is a force.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

So is the action of the inertial dampers. The end result is that they both cause an acceleration, and so are functionally identical.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I don't have an issue with that anymore. I just have an issue with people saying gravity is an acceleration.

Sorry.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I was agreeing with you Stitch...they aren't the same, but they can feel the same.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sorry, it was hard to tell.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

stitch626 wrote:Wait a minute...

The unit for Gravity is Newtons. This is NOT the same as the units for acceleration (Nkg or m/s2).

Edit: Sorry, correction, Newtons is the force due to gravity, not gravity itself. And Nkg is the acceleration due to gravity. But still, gravity =/= acceleration.
Yes it does. You will find a Newton is not an SI unit. F=MA. Hence [N]=[KG][M/S^2]. As I've already explained. When you convert Newton into SI units, then N/KG = M/S^2.
They are mathematically identical - gravity is measured unless specified otherwise as the gravitational field strength.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

When you convert Newton into SI units, then N/KG = M/S^2.
No, when you convert Newtons into SI units you get kgm/s2.
N/kg is not the units for gravity. N/kg is the units or gravitational acceleration, NOT the units for gravity.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ooh, ooh! College fight! :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

stitch626 wrote:
When you convert Newton into SI units, then N/KG = M/S^2.
No, when you convert Newtons into SI units you get kgm/s2.
N/kg is not the units for gravity. N/kg is the units or gravitational acceleration, NOT the units for gravity.
N/KG are the units for gravitational field strength. The mass of the body is irrelevant - ie the strength of attraction is irrelevant because at a unit mass, it's the same for everything. If you want to be pedantic to the extreme, then gravity is a pseudoforce and definitely does not have units of Newtons.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

If you want to be pedantic to the extreme, then gravity is a pseudoforce and definitely does not have units of Newtons.
I never said that Newtons were the unit for gravity. I said they were the unit for gravitational force, as they are the unit for all forces.
In reality, gravity has no units, it is the applied effects of gravity that have units.
The mass of the body is irrelevant...
Since when? A gravitational field is formed by a mass, so I fail to see how a mass can be irrelevant.
... the strength of attraction is irrelevant because at a unit mass, it's the same for everything.
No argument there.