Swinging nacelles?

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Swinging nacelles?

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There was the Billy Ruffian in IAESL, but I think that was it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Of course, we can never be sure how many were in the hours of ship battles in DS9.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hmmm......let's build something really complex, with more parts than we really need. Naa....why worry about the fact that the more fancy and complex, the more stuff there is to fail, or just break?

A conversation overheard between two Starfleet ship designers
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Really complex? A few hinges?

I'd hate to see you try to work a door.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:Really complex? A few hinges?

I'd hate to see you try to work a door.
It becomes more complex when you add servomotors, and need to make the warp plasma conduits shift along with the rest of the nacelles... safely!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Still its hardly "really complex"

And considering the alternative is a reworking of a design that seems pretty solid... not really worth it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Actually, it's hugely complex. It's not "just" the variable geometry; it's the actuation system and plasma feeds, as CPH said, plus altering the foci and configuration of warp fields; adding actuation software, changing shield configurations, changing SIF configurations, etc., etc. Plus, you're talking about different material stresses and load-bearing properties around the pivot points, so a completel alteration in the metallurgical design becomes necessary. Do you have any idea ho many different moments and forces can effect a single simple journal bearing?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

There's also the fact that it's moving something that explodes at the drop of a hat (the nacelles). You need to put some damn good safety systems on that thing.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

That, at least, they appear to have got right. In "Timeless" Voyager's port nacelle hit a spur of rock hard enough to rip the busard collector and most of the casing off. The ship didn't blow up. Can you imagine the effect of an impact like that on a Batch 1 GCS?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Another boom in the history books.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair point. A GCS would have gone up like a box of fireworks.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Only to make such an explosion that it would make a tear in the space/time continuam, throwing it back in time again, only to crash aagain. A viscious cycle indeed.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You still have the weight the benifit of removing the swing arm against the cost of reworking the design and shipyards.