musings on the most famous of grudges

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good. Then I shallt never ask.

*dives out window*
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

We've got plenty of examples of torpedoes changing course mid-flight (the one in Generations for example). I was wondering whether we had canon evidence of torpedoes being fire-and-forget rather than dependant of guidance from the launch platform. I expect they are, but given Starfleet's track record in implementing common-sense measures I'd like absolute evidence from the show.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I didn't see anyone guilding the PT in ST6, they just changed the tagerting system, not cpu. The flight system was the same.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

In Enterprise one of the Torps does a 90 degree change around an asteroid. I think the problem why they miss often is because other ships have jammers in place to confuse missiles.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, i got yelled at before for talking about jammers so becareful where you walk, there are sharks in that there water boy.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Deepcrush wrote:Well, i got yelled at before for talking about jammers so becareful where you walk, there are sharks in that there water boy.
lol, well unless there's another plausible explaination that seems to be the most likely.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it seems that the most likely system is a guided torpedo. Although, sometimes I wonder...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I doubt they are controlled from the ship as Starfleet tends to frown on remote control operations. They could be taken over mid flight.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Actually, I was just referring to an example of the SOTA... I didn't mean to imply that any one modern tech would be analagous to any particular Treknology. You guys are so damn literal! Haven't you ever heard of a friggin' metaphor? (i.e., Rochey - I'm not as dumb as a bag of hammers - I know you can't have a guided directed-energy weapon!)

Anyhoo, I don't recall any particular instance of seeing someone actually guide a torp in real time. Any evidence to the contrary?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well with a spread of several torpedoes I doubt you could control them. That and they are travelling so damn fast you couldnt really do it well.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. Even if we were to assume that a torp was set for a particular target and then allowed to be guided by the computer, we would have had to have seen some sort of active sensor system to relay the torp's telemetry, and we have seen nothing like that. In fact, such a system would give any bogey a big red flag that fire is incoming.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer