HMS Theramel

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

HMS Theramel

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The archetypal "final generation" sail ship, the Theramels were the largest and most powerful vessels of their time.
Launched in 2662, the Theramel was the largest and most powerful warship ever built in the two Empires. The
ship employed an all AG hull with modular fuel tanks, but unlike previous designs the Theramel could swap tanks quickly
and efficiently using only its own resources.

The Theramel was the ultimate endpoint of several technologies. The sail pod system, for instance; no other ship had more
or larger sails. The Theramel had a top speed of 350 c or more as a result.

The sublight engine was a ring repellor; a development of the previous spiked models, the ring system combined a large
number of spines into a toroidal ring. This allowed maximum sublight accelerations of 220 gees, though the drive would
melt if this was used for prolonged periods and 180 gees was a more usual acceleration.

The giant gamma ray laser cannon, more than 45 metres long, each weighed over 4,000 tons and were the most powerful
models ever produced. Ten smaller twin cannon mounts were also included.

The Alvin-2 missiles were still in service but although reasonably effective they were long in the tooth, and the new Kantha missile
was also issued. Much larger, faster, longer ranged
and more powerful, the Kantha was too expensive to completely replace the Alvin, so the Theramels carried a mix of the two
types.

An new more powerful point defence missile was also fielded, with the eight round silos of earlier classes replaced by twelve
round silos on the Theramels.

(By the way, all these pics of my ships are to the same scale)

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Nice to see a more traditional design. looking foward to the next generation when we start to get more traditional ship designs.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually it's all change after this, for a new drive system.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
dbutler1986
Petty officer first class

Post by dbutler1986 »

Are you keeping the mechanics of your sail drive a secret until the book comes out, or might we have a few crumbs of knowledge? I'm imagining it has something to do with this "Midspace" of yours ;)
Bernd

Post by Bernd »

Very well done! This is my favorite so far. No offense, but while they were absolutely reasonable, most ships so far looked a bit like huge umbrellas. This one, with its bulky main hull, is overall more formidable from a merely aesthetic viewpoint.