Question about Wolf 359

The Next Generation
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Question about Wolf 359

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed, it seem everything has a frequency in Trek.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dont see how it could have one. Its an explosion and thus should be spread over a wide area of the spectrum. Unless when they refer to frequency they are speaking of the shell of the torpedo which may have a field around it so it can pass through shields.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It has a frequency because of.....you know, quantum.

I agree it shouldn't have a frequency, but what we see would seem to indicate that they do. This is Trek, after all. You can't expect it to be accurate. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Actually it should... Remember wave/particle duality. Well, even you, sitting there at your computer, has a wavelength and frequency :wink:
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Curse you, laws of physics!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I dont see how it could have one. Its an explosion and thus should be spread over a wide area of the spectrum. Unless when they refer to frequency they are speaking of the shell of the torpedo which may have a field around it so it can pass through shields.
Even aside from the fact of Thorin being correct (although much harder to apply for a 3m long particle) it doesn't matter if it makes sense - it's canon.
Rochey wrote:It has a frequency because of.....you know, quantum.
:happydevil:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote:Curse you, laws of physics!
In fact, I just noticed how completely relevant your statement of 'you know... quantum' really is :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I wasn't even thinking of that, but Thorin's right - it actually fits. Somebody should send this to OVEG.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

*Science! :worried: *

MUST! HIDE! TOO MUCH... THINKING... INVOLED! COULD MEAN... MATH is ON THE WAY! :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always figured the torpedo frequency was the frequency of the shields on the torpedo. Hence matching shield freqs lets the torp's shield sort of cancel out the ship's shield and pass through unimpeded.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hi everybody. First time posting in the forum so far, but it won't be the last. Maybe somebody can help me out here, because I have had something that was bugging me worse than a hangnail for the longest time. Many lists have been compiled naming the ships that were lost at Wolf 359, (a couple of cannon, but mostly non). But I have long since wondered, if of the fleet of 40 ship fleet, 39 starships were destroyed by the Borg, what ship survived? Can anybody answer this nagging, ongoing, and perplexing problem for me?

Thanks

Mark
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I believe it was the Endeavor. Captain Janeway quoted the Endeavor's captain as Voyager approached Borg infested space(the first time) about how he felt about the Borg. At the time the only known incident the Endeavor could be involved in as of Voyager's odyssey in the Delta Quadrant was the Battle of Wolf 359.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Upon further research on the matter it was the episode "Scorpion" where Janeway quoted Captain Amasov saying, "...It is my opinion that the Borg are as close to pure Evil as any race we've ever encountered." However, there is no direct evidence for him being at Wolf 359, aside from the fact that Janeway had to have been referring to an encounter that took place before Voyager was transported to the Delta Quadrant, and that one of Hanson's ships did survive the assault on the cube. However it is the simplist and most logical solution.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Have to wonder how that ship survived, when you consider that the threat was so great, Riker was willing to ram the cube with the E-D to try and stop them. She must have been dead in space, or I would have assumed the Captain be willing to do ANYTHING to stop the Borg, just like Riker. Ram the cube, self destruct the ship and hope to take a piece of the cube with them, so on and so forth. But it didn't. It wasn't even there when the E-D passed through the sector. But if it was dead in space, why wasn't it assimilated. Hmmmmm, did the Captain run away from battle?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I always figured the torpedo frequency was the frequency of the shields on the torpedo. Hence matching shield freqs lets the torp's shield sort of cancel out the ship's shield and pass through unimpeded.
Thats what I thiught two. Cancel out others shields.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.