''Other''....
3%

Total votes: 30
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Big Four.....

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:We don't even know how powerful the Breen were to begin with. Really, once their dampning field went down their ships were taken down pretty easily. Also, I don't recalll any indication of them ever being that big or influential.
They got a few mentions in TNG that suggested that they were technologically advanced - theywere known to use cloaking devices, and the same generic class of disrupters as the Klingons and Romulans.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, alright then.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i've forgotten most of these posts and am buggered for time today plus have a stress-headache but is the consensus that the fourth power doesnt have to be a match for the others just capable of being better than its other contenders and capable of some resistance against one of the big three, if so couldnt that actually apply to the romulans and thus we actually have a big two?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Granitehewer wrote:i've forgotten most of these posts and am buggered for time today plus have a stress-headache but is the consensus that the fourth power doesnt have to be a match for the others just capable of being better than its other contenders and capable of some resistance against one of the big three, if so couldnt that actually apply to the romulans and thus we actually have a big two?
Umm... yes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Post-war, I'd say there's technically just a "big one".

Pun intended.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Talos
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Talos »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Post-war, I'd say there's technically just a "big one".

Pun intended.
I don't know if you're jocking or not but its almost clear that after the war there is only one superpower in the A quadrant...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

No, I was making an actual point, accidentally added innuendo, then ran with it. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I always wanted the Gorn to be a big power. There's nothing to say they aren't, their tech certainly seems on a par with the Federation in TOS from what we see - ships about as fast as the Enterprise, weapons "like phasers only worse", though their bombardment weapon used at the base sucked ass compared to what Kirk fired back! I kept hoping TNG or DS9 would make a big deal of them, they would have filled the role of the Cardassians or Breen nicely.

I guess Gorn are too expensive and/or "man in rubber suit looking" to use a lot, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Talos

Post by Talos »

GrahamKennedy wrote:I guess Gorn are too expensive and/or "man in rubber suit looking" to use a lot, though.
With CGI this might change... but since there is no mention for them especially in DS9 during the war ( they could say the Gorn not the Miradorn or the Tzenkethi) they could even be federation members by now...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Talos wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:I guess Gorn are too expensive and/or "man in rubber suit looking" to use a lot, though.
With CGI this might change... but since there is no mention for them especially in DS9 during the war ( they could say the Gorn not the Miradorn or the Tzenkethi) they could even be federation members by now...
Certainly could be.

On the official (non canon) maps, the Gorn and Tholians are on the opposite side of the Federation to the Cardassians/Bajorans/Wormhole/Breen/Ferengi. It would make sense that we don't see them much given that the focus was in that area for much of TNG and all of DS9.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Talos

Post by Talos »

IIRC they mention that the dominion has made a non-aggression pact with the Tholians ( I don't have the time to watch the episode right now). They could have mentioned the Gorn as well or they could put the Defiant heading for the Gorn homeworld instead the Tzenkethi in order to start a war with them. It could be a good plan if they are really (The Gorn) at the oposite side of fed space (the feds fighting 2 wars at oposite sides of their borders)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I liked the Gorn a lot as well, and still wish we'd seen more of them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

What I liked about the Gorn is we got to see the UFP in the wrong.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Are we going to have another "loose ends" topic? I agree with you guys - the Tholians at least were mentioned in the non-aggression pact and the presence of a Tholian ambassador on DS9; the Gorn seem to have been forgotten completely.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Tholians are my favorite and the Gorn are cool. Both have been explanded quite a lot in non canon works.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.