Why so many classes of ship?

The Next Generation
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

there probably should be thousands of times MORE classes of ships than there were, if the Republic really was coposed of thousands upon thousands of worlds.
I have to agree with Mr. - ummm, Bryan - again, especially considering the fact that supllemental material in Star Wars often refers to spacecraft being designed, built, and presumably sold by private business.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

The Empire had a few kinds of ships still in use. Usualy excess ones were sold to the Corporate Sector, the Hutts, or other smaller political groups. The Empire was not the only political organization inside Star Wars. You had the Hapes, Unknown Regions, Hutts, Bothans, Corporate Sector, you name it.

The type of warfare in Star Wars was a lot more limited than Trek. In SW capital ships aren't manuverable at all so they instead go for the bigger ships that can dish out more carnage. Numbers and size is what matter in Star Wars. Which is why it gave birth to so many super weapons such as the three Death Stars, Suncrusher, World Devestators, Eclipse Star Destroyer, Tarkin, Eye of Palpatine, Centerpoint Station, and so on.

From a military standpoint when you have very slow capital ships that are closer to a weapons platform than a ship any change in mission operation is needed for fighters and small gunboats to do. Which is why you see very few capital ship designs and a lot more fighter and smaller craft designs.

But you're right, not enough considering the Old Republic is 25,000 years old.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I suppose that because the Republic was mostly peacefull during the events of TPM and AOTC they likely didn't bother with a large naval force.
Also, after the end of the clone wars the Empire was powerfull enough that no one could challenge it. (even the vong postponed their invasion because they felt they'd lose to the Empire)
So it would be less likely to need so many different types of ships.

Also, we see a lot more ships in the books than we do in the films.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I don't know if the Vong really would have postponed it. We know they had scouts during the time of the Empire in the Galaxy, but we also know even at the higher levels of Vong society it was heresy to speak of losing the war to the Empire. Though I remember at least two occations where they did discuss it.

My take on it is that the very upper levels who know that the religion is a fraud (only like two people)may have figured out that war against the Empire may not have been winable but I can't imagine that the common Vong would think that. Possibility of losing against a Galaxy that uses technology just doesn't seem like it would cross into a Vong's psychie. The world ships were dying too so it seems unlikely they would have waited anymore than they had to.

My take on it is that they would have invaded had the Empire been there and had the whole gods are on our side mentality. Just it had taken a few years for the main fleet to catch up to the scouts. The Praetor Vong invaded before the rest of the race was ready because they were so eager.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:?
I'm almost certain it was said in one of the books that the vong would have never defeated the Empire. I can't remember which one it was though so I'll let it go.
It would make sense though, the New Republic was much weaker militarily than the Empire.
*shrug*
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

The were so many classes of starship in Star Trek TNG-Nemesis to make up for the lack there of in TOS and TMP.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

JudgeKing wrote:The were so many classes of starship in Star Trek TNG-Nemesis to make up for the lack there of in TOS and TMP.
Fair enough. Though I don't think that completely explains it. Do you believe the number of classes was overkill?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not at all. For a Emprie that spans 8000 light years and is 200 years old it seems to little if anything.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think it makes sense that the number of classes, and not just the size of the fleet, would increase the way it did as time progressed. As technology grows and new designs, engineering principles, material science, etc. are implemented, many more combinations are available to test out in new ship designs. As I mentioned earlier, even if a particular design isn't ideal, you don't scuttle the ships of that class that have already been built.

Of course, nobody (I think) is saying that all the different ship classes that have shown up necessarily had long or distinguished production runs. That would be much more incredible.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote::?
I'm almost certain it was said in one of the books that the vong would have never defeated the Empire. I can't remember which one it was though so I'll let it go.
It would make sense though, the New Republic was much weaker militarily than the Empire.
*shrug*
No, you're right. Nom Anor outright says it in one of the later books. I'd quote it but I gave away all my NJO books. There is one quote, though, I do remember...

"What would the Empire have made of the Vong?"

"Ground Vong."

Not exact, but the gist is there...
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

yeah but he also wasn't the most religious or mainstream of the Yuuzhan Vong. The bulk of them probably were in denial.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Monroe wrote:yeah but he also wasn't the most religious or mainstream of the Yuuzhan Vong. The bulk of them probably were in denial.
Yeah, good point. Although... two coralskipper pilots did have a convo about if their Gods, being invincible, were also brave...

Anyway, back to ship classes! We've seen a metric ton of Starfleet ships, and IIRC, the other power with anywhere close are the Klingons. I do like how their design philosophies lead to similar builds for each navy.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd quote it but I gave away all my NJO books.
I don't blame you. :)
yeah but he also wasn't the most religious or mainstream of the Yuuzhan Vong. The bulk of them probably were in denial.
He was still the commander of the Vong fleet, if anyone would have know how they would fare, it would have been him.