Dyson sphere

The Next Generation
N'tran DS 12
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by N'tran DS 12 »

They needed to expand, but were not explorers or travelers.

N'tran

{I'm guessing the sphere construction was automated,
and the race died out before the Sphere's completion}
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The sphere was abandoned when the sun inside it changed and made the suface uninhabitable.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:The sphere was abandoned when the sun inside it changed and made the suface uninhabitable.
The internal surface temperature of the sphere couldn't have changed too much - there was still liquid water on the interior, so it was still within the habitable zone.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Either the builders were being proactive, or there might have been a change in the star's radiation making the surface unsuitable.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:The sphere was abandoned when the sun inside it changed and made the suface uninhabitable.
The internal surface temperature of the sphere couldn't have changed too much - there was still liquid water on the interior, so it was still within the habitable zone.
Couldn't the sun still have been giving off higher levels of radiation, even if the temperature had not yet risen high enough to vaporize water?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Or even different frequencies - a shift from visible light to X- or gamma-rays could be fairly dangerous.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I thin it was more to do with radiation.

But if your strong enough to build that thing you should be able to fix a star or throw a shield up.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Maybe they just got bored with it.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe they were forced to leave? Diesease, food shortages, or war could all end up either killing the original inhabitants, or forcing them to leave.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They never said in the episode who built it but it should be pretty easy to find out. Their name would be written all over it.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I wonder if that thing has the equivelant of a 'Made in China' stamp on it somewhere.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its pretty damn impressive. I bet they wanted everyone in the Galaxy to know about it.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Unless such things were considered normal for that race and whatever other races co-inhabited the galaxy with them.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Rochey wrote:I wonder if that thing has the equivelant of a 'Made in China' stamp on it somewhere.
Yeah, that seems likely. :D
I don't know... I'm not sure that they would have wanted anyone to know who built it, perhaps they were hiding.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Unless such things were considered normal for that race and whatever other races co-inhabited the galaxy with them.
Then one would think that more would have been found, no?
as Bull offed Custer