First Movie

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Its really just an excuse for adults to play 'Lets Pretend.' :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

But then again, the only way an alien could ever appreciate a movie would be for them to learn a lot about humanity first. But once they did that, that would make pretty much any movie an option for a "first showing"

:D
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Handel
Petty officer second class

First Movie

Post by Handel »

who cares about showing them a movie? We all know we've gotta play 'em some Steppenwolf and Roy Orbison!

oh and w00t 25th post! can I stop playing a chief petty officer now?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'd go with Shoreshank redemption (spelt that totally wrong) Great movie.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

I think I'd show them something more epic, rather than a 'realistic' or serious movie. Mythic archetypes are something present in just about every culture, and learning about ours would help them grasp our culture and mindset better. Something remote from our own day and age, but underpinned with the same values and basic ideas that define our lives. So, maybe Star Wars....or Lord of the Rings? Does anyone know of any other films that would fit the bill? :?
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I never said that the we would usher them into a home theater the first moment they step off their spaceship, or step through the gate, or do whatever they do to travel between worlds.

Movies, books, and such media could also teach them much about our culture, history (the true stories like October Sky, Apollo 13), and we're assuming they've already gotten familiar with our society.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Handel

First Movie

Post by Handel »

one thing we'd need to consider, however, is that were we to show them a film of our choice, we'd undoubtedly give them something that is native solely to our post-modern western society, which is where the film medium originated and has largely thrived (ok, so film began pre-WWII, which is basically still the modern era, but at the very end of it, if we consider WWII to be the closest thing we can come to a solid line of era-change). So I have a feeling that we'd have to present our visitors with various media from various cultures, from music to history to visual art to drama to food (if their anatomies can take the food...).
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

We could take them to a drive in and try to seduce them. Then take their space ship.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Seven Beauties. Now there's the human condition
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?