Star Trek XI

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs

Do you think that it's a good idea for Trek XI to be set in TOS era?

Yes, it's a good a time as any.
11%
No, it should have been set in some other period.
26%
I'll watch it before I pass judgement.
57%
They should stop making Star Trek for a while.
6%

Total votes: 53
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I haven't seen heroes, either, but I like this guy for the part, in theory.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I don't watch Heroes, but from what I've seen of him he could do the role well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Space Ghost
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Space Ghost »

The Wormhole wrote:There's been news about Trek XI. Zachary Quinto has been confirmed as the younger Spock, and apparently Leonard Nimoy has a cameo as an elderly Spock.

For details http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/s ... 00803.html
Sounds familiar... like someone mentioned it before. :P
"Are you considering the strategy I'm considering?"
"The cliché is 'Are you thinking what I'm thinking?' And yes, I am."
Gerbsbrother
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Gerbsbrother »

i don't think it will be very popular, the main reasons is because i don't think i could over the fact of somebody else playing kirk or spock or any others besides the real actors who played them in TOS
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, it'll be odd having a different Kirk.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Trekmovie.com
It was long rumored, and has since been confirmed, that the new Star Trek film will recast the Original Series characters Kirk and Spock (with Spock already cast with Zachary Quinto). TrekMovie.reported last October that the film will also have McCoy and Scotty and now (if a new report is to be believed) it appears we will get the whole gang. AICN claims to have obtained a partial character casting sheet for the new Star Trek film which includes Kirk, Scotty, McCoy, Uhura and Sulu (but no Chekov who didn't join until the second season). Details below:

[JAMES KIRK] 23-29 Handsome,cocky self assured and earnest. Great physical condition. 6 ft or less

[LEONARD (BONES) MCCOY] -28-32 Medic on the Enterprise. Smart, clever and a bit danger-loving. Dark hair, blue eyes.

[UHURA] 25ish -African American. Brilliant, beautiful, heroic and FUN!, Uhura is almost tom-boyish - as if she grew up in a house full of brothers.

[SULU] 25-32 -Asian American male (preferably Japanese). Helmsman on the Enterprise. Extremely fit, capable and dedicated. A bit of a wildcat.

[MONTGOMERY(SCOTTY) SCOTT] -28-32 a brilliant ship's engineer. Must be able to do a flawless Scottish accent!

Although TrekMovie.com cannot confirm the AICN report at this time, it is consistent with reports we have made in the past. As noted above we have already reported that McCoy and Scotty were in the film, so what is really new is the addition of Sulu and Uhura. In his TrekMovie.com interview earlier this week, the new Spock, Zachary Quinto, stated the film was about the 'convergence of all these characters.' Quinto clarified that he meant more than just Kirk and Spock. The casting sheet and Quinto's comments along with the report about the film featuring the USS Enterprise makes the TrekMovie.com report (from a year ago) that the film is about the first mission of Kirk's Five Year Mission on the USS Enterprise seem more and more likely. TrekMovie.com has also reported that the characters of George Kirk (Jim Kirk's brother and Chris Pike (the captain before Kirk will be featured, but these have yet to be confirmed.
So looks like the entire original cast minus Chekov will make an appearance. Though apperently Quinto let slip that their looking at Anton Yelchin to play Chekov.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Great. A whole CAST of characters for which to screw up the backstory!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I'm hoping for a reboot, that way they can fart around with continuity all they want.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Doing that would make a better movie but it would really pisss fans off.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm hoping for a reboot, that way they can fart around with continuity all they want.
Then why bother using the characters we all already know from TOS?
as Bull offed Custer
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

As I understand the history, Matt Damon was indeed approached very early on but as the story became pre-TOS he was told he was too old.

Honestly, I think it's a mistake to skip over Matt Damon for the role due to his age. I'm not saying I think he could play such a young Kirk in this HDTV era, but I'd have considered moving the story forward to accommodate him.

I once read an amusing observation that were it not for syndication, the only time we'd have probably ever seen Trek again was as a badly-done lifting of the idea with Arnold Schwarzenegger as Kirk or something. The idea of basing Trek around someone like Matt Damon may seem an equally poor choice.

But given that Trek has a certain stigma attached to it, what with the cancellation and the often-obnoxious, often-nerdy, and frequently-negative fanbase, it seems to me that a big name of a respectable actor in the Kirk role would be helpful.

Instead, I hear they mean to cast comparative unknowns . . . a cost-saver, to be sure, but it could backfire badly if the actor chosen doesn't have that inexplicable charisma of Shatner in the TOS Kirk role. True, it was helped extensively by the writing and the equal charisma of Nimoy and Kelley, but there are still some big Starfleet-issue boots to fill.

Damon would make a pretty good Pike, though. Injured or whatever and leaving things to Kirk who then excels would do benefit to both characters while giving star power to the film.

But in the meantime:

Can Quinto play Spock well? I'm not sure. I've mostly seen him play "creepy", so I'm not sure if he'll be able to pull off the Spock role.

As for the idea of a non-Kirk Trek movie:

There was at one point a plan in the works to have a Saving-Private-Ryan-esque film set during the Romulan Wars. Frankly, I think that would've utterly kicked ass. Trekkies would know that whoever saw the face of a Romulan would probably die, and indeed the whole film could've ended with the loss of the whole freaking cast, but properly done it would've been quite awesome. But then we'd have been left in the Enterprise era, which would've allowed Bakula some face-time either in that movie or for sequels, but would probably be considered an unusual choice overall.

Speaking of which, I can't say I mind the idea of a little aged-Bakula cameo in this one, depending on where things happen in the timeline.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Then why bother using the characters we all already know from TOS?
That's just a hook to get us into the theatre.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

God forbid they may actually think up an original crew. If they keep using the same characters again and again its going to end up screwing with continuity. If they made up an original crew there would be less danger.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rpchey is absolutley correct.

As for
That's just a hook to get us into the theatre.
Come on - bad attitudes or not, we're all going to see it. The name "Star Trek" is enough of a hook for that!
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, but the added bonus of Kirk was probably just to make sure they got as many people in as possible.