‘Star Trek’ Origin Story Movie Will Be Set Decades Before 2009 Film

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

‘Star Trek’ Origin Story Movie Will Be Set Decades Before 2009 Film

Post by Nutso »

https://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-prequ ... announced/
CinemaCon 2024: The new project will be produced by longtime “Star Trek” steward J.J. Abrams

Paramount Pictures is ready to boldly go (again).

After rumors circulated earlier this year, Paramount officially announced a new “Star Trek” prequel film on Thursday, this time taking place decades before the original 2009 “Star Trek” feature.

“Andor” director Toby Haynes will direct from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith (who is also writing another hotly touted CinemaCon title, the third “Now You See Me” film). J.J. Abrams is returning to produce.

But then again, we’ve heard about a new “Star Trek” movie before.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: ‘Star Trek’ Origin Story Movie Will Be Set Decades Before 2009 Film

Post by McAvoy »

Not a fan. If you plan on making a mainstream movie like the Abrams verse, you have to make it accessible to the wider audience. Not something tailor made that only Trek fans would know. As big as the Trek community can be, to make the big bucks these studios want, you need bigger audience appeal.

Rebooting the TOS era works and still does. I just cannot see a Star Trek movie that is original and even a prequel without a major character involved. You would need at least three of the original characters to be involved.

I also don't see Discovery moving to movies either. The current problem with the modern Trek outside it's widely debated issues is that it hasn't reached the cultural impact aspect that TOS or TNG had reached. Or even DS9 or VOY for that matter.

Tbh, let the theatrical movie go and focus on the TV series. Do not over saturate the product and do not confuse the movie goers.

Imagine a well known James Bond series that had no connection to the movie counterparts.. Makes no sense.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

On the one hand I would certainly not want them trampling all over existing canon. If they go with the existing crew but before 2009, then surely we have a time travel movie. That can work but it has to be done correctly (Back to the future / The Voyage Home). I could live with that as the past they would visit could be an altered version related to their changes (or at least we can hope so).

On the other hand I would rather that they didn't keep accelerating through the future further and further ahead. That kinda kicked in with TNG, then Picard and if I have to Discovery. I'm not a massive fan of giant leaps forward.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:26 pm On the one hand I would certainly not want them trampling all over existing canon. If they go with the existing crew but before 2009, then surely we have a time travel movie. That can work but it has to be done correctly (Back to the future / The Voyage Home). I could live with that as the past they would visit could be an altered version related to their changes (or at least we can hope so).

On the other hand I would rather that they didn't keep accelerating through the future further and further ahead. That kinda kicked in with TNG, then Picard and if I have to Discovery. I'm not a massive fan of giant leaps forward.
Well with Picard, they more or less did what they used to do. One year IRL is one in Trek. So TNG started in 2364 and 1987. Right now Trek for the TNG era would be 2400 soon to be 2401. For the original TOS era it would be 2326.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"